The Weirdest New Member Introduction Ever

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
More
02 May 2020 21:11 #824820 by DoctoRot
Replied by DoctoRot on topic The Weirdest New Member Introduction Ever
All the air/oiled cooled GSXR, GSXF, and Bandit 6 or 12 use the same case castings. I shoehorned a bandit 1200 into my 86 GSXR 750 and it fits like a glove.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 128racecar

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 May 2020 05:09 #824833 by 128racecar
Replied by 128racecar on topic The Weirdest New Member Introduction Ever
Great suggestions. Period correct is key for me, or else it's no racing. Or maybe I get a race director's exemption, but I get stuck in the same race group as the "Wings and Slicks" cars, ie CanAm, F5000, Formula Atlantic, etc, where I have no one the same speed to dice with. With a sports racer, it's a pretty wide open rules set. Obviously, it needs to be motorcycle powered and chain driven on the left to work with my chassis. Any normally aspirated engine 1980 or earlier would be a candidate.As you can see from my photos, wide open in the engine compartment. I had hoped to figure out what had last run in my car, but not critical. Since I plan to have a fabricator set up up cage (currently ZERO protection for legs/feet), I could have them set up motor mounts as long as I can come up with a bare block (junk ok) for mock up.

Thanks!
Marc
The following user(s) said Thank You: DOHC

More
03 May 2020 05:12 #824834 by riturbo
Replied by riturbo on topic The Weirdest New Member Introduction Ever
Cool project .Hang around and let us know how things go .

Gpz 750 turbo The one I ride
Gpz 750 turbo Not finished
Gpz 750 turbo Not started
Gpz 550 1981
Gpz 550 1983
Bunch of other junk

• DOHC
  • Sustaining Member
  • Those Doe-Hawks really go!
More
03 May 2020 11:47 #824872 by DOHC

128racecar wrote: Any normally aspirated engine 1980 or earlier would be a candidate.

In that case, the kz1000 is the clear winner. :)

For reference, all Z1, Kz900, and Kz1000 engines from 1973 to 1980 have the same mount points and the same overall exterior dimensions. Any one would work for fit and jig purposes. The shaft drive model might be an odd one, but even those I believe can be converted back to chain drive so they can't be that different.

I personally think tiny tube frame racecars are just as cool as motorcycles, so please keep us posted on your progress.

For example, how does your car solve the problem of getting enough air to the engine to keep it cool? My friend was a Formula Vee racer and that engine is simple. The cylinders just hang out both sides.

'78 Z1-R in blue , '78 Z1-R in black, '78 Z1-R in pieces
My dad's '74 Z1
'00 ZRX1100

• Street Fighter LTD
  • Away
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
03 May 2020 12:03 #824875 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic The Weirdest New Member Introduction Ever
Oh , The Hell with the rules , and normally aspirated !!!!
Lets put a nice Turbo motor int that little racer .

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn
Attachments:

More
03 May 2020 13:32 #824890 by 128racecar
Replied by 128racecar on topic The Weirdest New Member Introduction Ever
Cooling is via twin side scoops on the car, with the option of adding a snorkel scoop above the engine compartment. I was planning on adding a electric fan for paddock use, and definitely an oil cooler/fan.

I wasn't aware it was possible to convert the shaft drive back to sprocket. I'll research this further, as it expands bike to look at as cores for my build.

Thanks,
Marc