TOPIC:

1981, KZ750 LTD in Cape Town, South Africa 09 Dec 2019 05:07 #815116

• SideArm66
  • SideArm66's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi all,
Boy oh boy, I am excited to be here.
I used to own a 2001, 400cc Eddie Lawson Replica. It had air cooling, but it was really all for show, it had a radiator too and just wasn't the real thing.
I recently bought a 1981 KZ750 LTD. I ride it daily to work and back, but it will need love and attention to keep going.

I will not be doing a full restoration just yet, but the following must be done soon:
- strip and clean Keihin CV34's. It runs ok currently, it has a lot of power between 4k and 6.5k rpm, and then it is less eager above 6.5k rpm. It is also giving me very poor fuel economy. I need to research this a bit.
- the header pipes are rotten where they enter the tail pipe, I am going to have new headers built up. Possibly stainless steel. I need to research this.
- the bike does not currently have the original brake light bracket on it. I need to source a new unit, which is impossible in South Africa, so I will be turning to e-bay on this one.
- A few other rubbers and cables will need love. And a few areas where chrome is looking weathered. But I intend to use this bike as a daily ride for a few months before I park it as a show piece and before I begin a bit-by-bit polish and restoration.

Is Keyster a good brand of aftermarket Keihin spare parts?

My experience in restoration is limited. So I am very eager to read a lot and learn.

I used to have a Suzuki RG125, the 400cc Lawson rep Kawasaki, a Honda 1100 Shadow and a Honda VFR800fi.
If I can choose any bike now, I'd take my current KZ750 LTD. The oldest of the bunch and the most enjoyable. Not the fastest, but certainly a huge grin after every ride. And the fact that it is 38 years old is just incredible! Older than I am!

I've always wanted an early 80's, Kawasaki, air cooled, 4 cylinder and the KZ750 LTD is perfect.

Regards from Cape Town, South Africa
1981, KZ750 LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1981, KZ750 LTD in Cape Town, South Africa 09 Dec 2019 06:29 #815118

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2053
Welcome aboard!
One of the first things you need to chase down is a genuine Kawasaki factory service manual for your specific year and model. KZR has a bunch of pdf copies of various ones under the Articles tab, but I don't think ere is one for the 1981 750H2 LTD.
A good set of JIS screwdrivers will also serve you well, all those cross-head screws are not Phillips.
Your higher rpm problems may be a combination of things including, valves that have little or no lash, ignition advancer that is stuck and dirty carburetors. Those things can also cause poor fuel mileage. On a used bike, it is a good idea to go through all the routine maintenance listed in the service manual. It is quite likely that most of it, especially valve adjustment, has been neglected.
There is a great deal of knowledge and experience around here, so don't be bashful about asking questions.
Oh yes, Keyster has a good reputation. If their products are readily available where you are, use them with confidence.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

Last edit: by TexasKZ.

1981, KZ750 LTD in Cape Town, South Africa 09 Dec 2019 06:52 #815120

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1621
The 80-85 750-4 chain drive manual covers the KZ750-H2. pdf has Yellow-Gold cover w color wiring diagrams. There's also a poorly scanned black-&-white version floating around the internet, so be sure to get the good one.
The following user(s) said Thank You: TexasKZ

Last edit: by martin_csr.

1981, KZ750 LTD in Cape Town, South Africa 09 Dec 2019 09:02 #815123

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1896
Hello and welcome SideArm66
as martin_csr suggested the Service Manual in the KZR database covers both 750-H1/H2 bikes.

kzrider.com/modules/ServiceManuals/GPz750.pdf

Attachments:

• Page: