Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Hello from Montreal! 13 Aug 2019 07:21 #809106

• Flopper
  • Flopper's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello all, new member here. I'm on the fence about buying a used '81 KZ550 LTD. This would be my first bike and it seems to be in pretty good condition. The previous owner rebuilt the carburetors, changed the engine gaskets, cables, chain, sprockets, brake pads, etc.

I haven't had the chance to try to sit on it yet, but I've read online that the LTD frame is a bit lower than the standard KZs. Should I be concerned about being uncomfortable on it at 6'0, 165 pounds? I'm planning on doing mostly city riding with it, but also a bit of highway riding. Is there anything else I should be looking for? :cheer:

Cheers!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hello from Montreal! 13 Aug 2019 08:42 #809112

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1021
My wife has one of those and I've ridden it a bit but at my size (6 ft 2 in and 250 lb) I find it comfortable but a bit small. It's also a 6 speed shift, which you may not like. You're basically shifting every couple of seconds. But the extra gear makes highway mileage very good...my wife gets about 65 mpg (imperial gallon)

That said...someone has done a lot of work to that bike. The seat looks to have been re-done, and nicely so. The engine has been painted, which usually means it was pulled out of the bike at some point. Are the carbs also painted black? Pipes look original and in good condition.

About the only thing I would want to know is compression. I suspect it would be good, as the motor has been out of the bike and possibly rebuilt.

Be forewarned that shim change on those bikes is more complicated than on most vintage Kawasakis. Shims are under the tappets so the cams must be removed to change a shim. Care is required to replace the cams so that timing is correct.

I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.
Attachments:

Last edit: by hardrockminer.

Hello from Montreal! 14 Aug 2019 08:06 #809159

• Flopper
  • Flopper's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks for your reply hardrockminer!

Great looking bikes you have there. The current owner has recently done a compression test, and everything looks fine. Regarding changing the shims, what should I be looking to see if they need replacement?

Hello from Montreal! 14 Aug 2019 13:39 #809169

• shrap66
  • User
  • Thank you received: 14
Hi Flopper and welcome to the forum.

I am in Ile-Perrot.

I am 6 ft 3 and 220 lbs and I am ok on my KZ1000. You might find it a bit small for you. Best way is to try if possible.

Also the shim adjustment is an issue you will not have on a KZ1000 as the shims can be replaced without having to touch the timing chain. You do however need to remove the airbox, the carbs and the cover so its still an ordeal but less.
1979 KZ1000B3 LTD Glacier Green

Last edit: by shrap66.

Hello from Montreal! 14 Aug 2019 14:52 #809176

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
When you check valve clearance and it's less than the spec then you need to change the shim. If valve clearance is OK then you don't need to pull your cams off.
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

Hello from Montreal! 15 Aug 2019 22:02 #809246

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
Does the airbox on an ltd block the valve cover? I dont touch the carbs when doing valve adjustments on standard kz550's.

Check the warning in my signature before removing the valve cover.

Hello from Montreal! 16 Aug 2019 05:29 #809251

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member

loudhvx wrote: Does the airbox on an ltd block the valve cover? I dont touch the carbs when doing valve adjustments on standard kz550's.

Check the warning in my signature before removing the valve cover.

No.

• Page: