Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

New KZ750 (4cyl) Owner Here... First Bike. 05 Jun 2019 10:46 #805197

• Noodski
  • Noodski's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi all, so I am fixing to head home with a 1981 Kawasaki KZ750. This was not my original idea of a good bike for a first time bike owner, but I was able to pick it up for $250.

The owner is moving and had to have the bike gone so I went ahead and bought it. He's got a boat load of extra parts and it was a project bike for him. The bike is put completely back together and apparently needs the carbs synced (he has videos of the bike running before he started the project).

I am pretty mechanically inclined so I think I can take this project on but we will see! I have experience with carbed scooters so hopefully this will be okay.

QUESTION: Should I even bother with this bike as a first time rider or should I just flip it? I know I can get more than what I paid for it out of it but I am afraid that this is too much bike. Thanks!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New KZ750 (4cyl) Owner Here... First Bike. 05 Jun 2019 11:12 #805198

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2043
Welcome to KZR. Based on your post, I'd say you got a good deal. However, to get somebody else's project on the road again will take much longer and cost much more than you think. Those are likely the real reasons the previous owner did not finish it before he moved.

At the least, you will need to--
Perform ALL of the routine maintenance as described in the factory service manual.
The tires are likely too old to be safe and will need replacing
If you have E10 fuel where you live, and it has been more than a month since the bike ran, you will need to disassemble and carefully clean tha carbs before trying to synchronize them.
The braking systems will likely need rebuilding.
Is the drive chain any good? If not, new chain and sprockets will be needed.
Battery?
Be prepared for surprises.

Is it too big for you? If you have a lot of experience riding scooters, then you may be fine with this as a first motorcycle. I would not recommend it for a brand new rider as it is rather heavy and makes enough power to get a true newby into trouble. Also, if you are too short to comfortably hold it up at a stop, a shorter bike might be a better choice.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

New KZ750 (4cyl) Owner Here... First Bike. 05 Jun 2019 11:41 #805200

• Malcolm
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Depends on what you enjoy. Expect to spend some time and money making it reliable if your interest is strong enough.
Masochism takes many forms. I like old bikes but have reconciled that they will have some shortcomings compared to modern ones.
This one will too.
Try this. When the garage is quiet late at night and you can hear it talking to you in your mind then it's a keeper.
Mine says thanks to me every day.
If the money talks louder then you have your answer.

New KZ750 (4cyl) Owner Here... First Bike. 05 Jun 2019 12:27 #805202

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
Regardless of what you want to do with it, if the engine is good and the starter clutch is strong, then you got a good deal.

Right now it's hard to find anything but a bucket of rust for $250. Your bike looks to have been stored indoors.

Last edit: by loudhvx.

New KZ750 (4cyl) Owner Here... First Bike. 05 Jun 2019 22:01 #805226

• azman857
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 111
Depending on your disposable income situation, you could keep this bike and work on her while you buy a Honda Rebel or some other "throw away" bike and get some experience on it. Ride it until it's too tame for you and switch to the KZ. Just remember it's 3 times the size and has twice the number of cylinders. BTW the ZR starter clutch is way better and almost a bolt in.
I don't have a plan and I'm sticken' to it! '77 KZ 650 / 750 GPz custom project in progress

New KZ750 (4cyl) Owner Here... First Bike. 06 Jun 2019 04:47 #805228

• M_a_t_t
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 41
As long as you have self control and are responsible, then dont worry about the size. My first bike was my kz1100 and I was like 5'5". You just have to make sure to pay attention to what you are doing. However, I would agree with azman. I bought a 300 almost 2 years ago and it is much easier to practice riding skills that can be transferred over to the kz.
83 KZ1100A (shaft)
17 Versys X 300 abs
81 kz650h1
81 kz750e2
90 Honda CBR600F (brother's)

• Page: