• Page:

TOPIC:

Greetings from the 906 27 Apr 2019 16:34 #802917

• nullptr
  • nullptr's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
Hello, everyone!

My name is Todd and I'm new to the forum. Apparently my mid-life crisis is kicking in, as after 5 years of not owning a motorcycle, I decided last week that I really wanted one again. Fast forward to today and I drove 2 hours across the state to purchase a bike in 35 degree weather. In the past I've owned many motorcycles, although my first set were a pair of 1976 Kawasakis when I was 12, a KE100 with a cracked piston and a KH100. I swapped the KH engine into the KE chassis, worked great! From there I had a pair of Yamaha dirtbikes, a Honda Twinstar, a Suzuki Bandit 400, a Honda 919, a SV650N (totaled it), and lastly a GSXR750. I've been eyeballing the new Yamaha XSR900 with a lot of interest, but I don't like the current model year's color and can't find a used one that doesn't cost as much as a new one.

Then a 1983 Kawasaki KZ750N Spectre popped up on the local Craigslist. I eyed it a few times, as it was quite stunning in gold and black, before finally deciding to call on it. Surprise, surprise, it was still for sale! After a week of back-and-forth via email, this morning I rented a uhaul and drove 2 hours to check it out. I handed over all the money I had on me and hauled it home. I had originally hoped to make a smaller offer and get a bit of a deal, but the owner didn't really want to sell it all that badly. In fact, he told me to call him if I ever decide to sell, as he'll probably want it back. :laugh:

I'm pretty happy with my purchase, and it came with a bunch of extra parts, including an original Vetter fairing with a AM/FM Cassette deck which I do not intend to install. It's huge, heavy, and while neat looking, I prefer the naked look. I'm probably going to try and find a stock grab bar to replace the seat back as well, and maybe change out the bars for something with a little less rise and pull.

Can anyone make any suggestions on tires? While the Dunlop Qualifiers on it have a lot of tread and still hold air, there are quite a few cracks in the rubber and I don't really trust 36 year old tires to not fail spectacularly on me. I was thinking Bridgestone Spitfire RWLs, as I like the white letter look, anyone running those?

So, long story short, instead of meeting with a realtor to discuss purchasing a home so I can move out of my rental, I bought a 36 year old motorcycle that was a 4 hour round trip drive away. Seems reasonable. :laugh:

1983 KZ750n Spectre
Ride the 906!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by nullptr.

Greetings from the 906 27 Apr 2019 16:45 #802918

• mopguy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 168
Beautiful bike!, a great find in this condition. New tires are a must have, and an overall look at all other parts, brakes, etc., get a factory service manual and do all the service that is required before going on the road..
I have a 1980 Kawasaki KZ750 Ltd. I bought new. I recently managed to get it out of my garage after 28 years and put it on the road again (2010). I feel like a kid all over again. Since I have acquired 3 78 KZ1000 Ltd, 1 1981 KZ1000 Ltd, and another 1980 KZ750 Ltd. Love the LTD's.
The following user(s) said Thank You: nullptr

Last edit: by mopguy.

Greetings from the 906 27 Apr 2019 18:32 #802919

• Street Fighter LTD
  • Away
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
  • Thank you received: 1952
Nice Find
Welcome to KZRider !!!!!!!!!
Dave

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

Greetings from the 906 27 Apr 2019 19:29 #802923

• 78z1Joe
  • User
  • My man cave is my garage....
  • Thank you received: 21
Wow! What a time machine, black handlebars, nice seat condition, very unique looking bike. Never say many of them though. Good luck
1978 KZ 1000
1982 GS 300 training bike
Previous Rides...
75 RD 350
72 CB 500 Four
72 SL 125
71 CT 70
69 3 1/2 HP mini bike

Greetings from the 906 27 Apr 2019 21:05 #802928

• nullptr
  • User
Thank you, everyone.

Right now my goal is to get the thing safe. That means new tires, new brake lines, new fuel lines with a filter if possible, and cleaning up the battery connections that are a bit cruddy. The brake pads themselves look to be good, but I may change them as well since I'll be in the area and they aren't super expensive. I also want to give it an oil change, but I'm unsure on what oil to use. I know, I know, asking that question tends to bring out the worst in a forum.

I also need to pick up some riding gear, as a lot of my old stuff either doesn't fit anymore or has been misplaced in the move.
1983 KZ750n Spectre
Ride the 906!

Greetings from the 906 28 Apr 2019 11:11 #802949

• slmjim+Z1BEBE
  • User
  • Enjoy Life! IT HAS AN EXPIRATION DATE!
  • Thank you received: 583
That's a nice Spectre! One of the most under-appreciated KZ's in all of Kawasaki's air-cooled lineup. A fine naked touring bike.

Not gonne hijack the thread with an oil suggestion. Just avoid any motor oil that says "Energy Conserving" in the starburst. Oil with JASO-MA rating is a plus, as it's specifically rated for wet clutches.

Make sure you flush both brake systems too. No telling how old the brake fluid is.

And welcome.

Good Ridin'
slmjim & Z1BEBE
A biker looks at your engine and chrome.
A Rider looks at your odometer and tags.

1972 Z1 x2
1974 Z1-A x2
1975 Z1-B x2
1993 CB 750 Nighthawk x2
2009 ST1300A

www.kawasaki-z-classik.com
An enthusiast's forum focused exclusively
on all things Z1, Z2 and KZ900.

Greetings from the 906 29 Apr 2019 15:04 #803032

• nullptr
  • User

slmjim+Z1BEBE wrote: That's a nice Spectre! One of the most under-appreciated KZ's in all of Kawasaki's air-cooled lineup. A fine naked touring bike.

Not gonne hijack the thread with an oil suggestion. Just avoid any motor oil that says "Energy Conserving" in the starburst. Oil with JASO-MA rating is a plus, as it's specifically rated for wet clutches.

Make sure you flush both brake systems too. No telling how old the brake fluid is.

And welcome.

Good Ridin'
slmjim & Z1BEBE

Thanks! It's got some flaws, but at 5' you really can't see them other than the damaged side cover. I have another one, but it's also somewhat damaged. Once I get it on the road, I'll address that. That said, for a 36 year old bike, it looks awesome even up close. I'm just a bit of a nit-picker. :laugh:

I ended up going with Mobil 1 4T. I've used it in my previous bikes, and have run Mobil 1 in pretty much every vehicle I've owned since 2006 with good results. I've also ordered a full set of filters, plugs, and hoses for it which should hopefully be here by this weekend. The brake fluid looks clean, but I'm going to get some custom braided steel lines made up for it and that means a flush and bleed anyway. I need to inspect the pads to see what they look like, but I'm leaning towards replacing them as well just to be safe. I don't know if pads go bad, but I'm fairly certain material technology for them has come a long way in the last 36 years!

Right now the goal is to have it on the road by the middle of the month when temps get reliably into the 50s (it's currently 33 and snowing). I'm looking forward to cruising up to Lake of the Clouds this summer.

Now I just need to get some riding gear!
1983 KZ750n Spectre
Ride the 906!

Greetings from the 906 04 May 2019 18:24 #803342

• nullptr
  • User
Finally had some time today to work on the bike. Changed out what appeared to be the original plugs for new NGKs. The old ones were really dark, looks like she was running a bit rich. I may have to fiddle with that as I also discovered there was no air filter element, which I've fixed as well. Sadly, the gas filter I bought for it is way too big for that little area under the tank, so I'm going to try and find a new one at the parts store tomorrow. I was originally going to change the fuel line out, and still may, but it looks like it was replaced at some point rather recently. The vacuum lines are all shot, though. I also swapped the battery out as it didn't seem to be holding a charge, picked up a lithium ion one, and holy crap is the difference in weight substantial! I started doing an oil change and managed to get everything drained and a new filter in, but man, that filter was a pain in the ass on the center stand. Oil everywhere. New house, I'm investing in a lift. Lastly, went ahead and aired up the rear shocks to 40psi (I'm a fat ass) and the front shocks to 10psi and adjusted the idle up to 1000RPM from 600.

Tomorrow will hopefully see me putting oil in (need a funnel), finishing the vacuum lines, doing the rear gear oil and swapping the handlebars for the Emco Daytona bars I picked up.

Still need tires. I may order those tomorrow.
1983 KZ750n Spectre
Ride the 906!

Greetings from the 906 11 May 2019 16:51 #803698

• nullptr
  • User

Almost ready to ride, she's got a plate now! Just... missing a few parts. Wheels are at the shop getting Bridgestone Spitfires mounted, I should have them back Monday. A little disappointing they couldn't get to it today, but my jacket isn't going to be here until Tuesday anyway, so it is what it is. Daytona bars are going on tomorrow. I think I've figured out how to mount my fuel filter, too.

The other bike in the pictures is my '85 Honda VF500 I rescued from the scrapyard. Previous owner was a local college student who had graduated and was moving, I'd kept seeing the bike on Craigslist and the price kept dropping. When it got down to the day before his move, I made an offer and got it for cheap. I figured I could make back what I paid for it in parts, worse case, but it took 5 minutes to get it running once I got it home. I'm thinking of rebuilding it over the winter, I've got a set of surprisingly intact bodywork for it and it could be a fun little bike. It's currently hemorrhaging coolant from the water pump, which is why it has kitty litter under it.
1983 KZ750n Spectre
Ride the 906!
Attachments:

Greetings from the 906 07 Aug 2019 19:46 #808899

• nullptr
  • User
Well. after several months of riding the KZ around and generally enjoying it, I've sent her off to a new home. Last weekend my father drove up from down-state and took ownership of the KZ, his first bike since a 1977 Honda 750 he'd sold shortly after I was born. He'd kept his license up to date and has ridden a few of my bikes over the years, but he finally decided it was time to get another bike of his own.

Going to miss the bike, but I'm glad to know it went to a good home. Before he took ownership I managed to convert it completely to LED lighting, which made a huge difference. I hope he enjoys it! I've got a 919 for riding around now, and while it is a much better bike, the KZ had more character.
1983 KZ750n Spectre
Ride the 906!
The following user(s) said Thank You: KZJOE900

• Page: