Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Hello from Utah! 09 Mar 2019 19:07 #800033

• renrip
  • renrip's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Recently purchased a smooth running 1980 KZ550A with 10800 miles for $500. As you can see from the pictures it’s not in the best condition cosmetically, but mechanically everything seems sound. The previous owner had already run through the carbs and jetted them for pods as the original air box was missing when he bought it. (I know...) He works for a reputable custom bike and service shop here, and has been giving me free help while I’ve been checking things out.
Within the next week I will be going through the service schedule to get it up to date to the mileage it is at then going through all the hoses, connections, etc.

The only issue I have been trying to figure out is the starter button. It and the solenoid have power, but it will not crank with the button. However, it will start by bridging the solenoid terminals. I’ve been reading as much as I can about the ignition system and going through the diagrams. I have a replacement solenoid that I will be testing next weekend. Hoping it is as simple as cleaning up the connections but may have to go through the wiring harness... any pointers for checking this system?

Parts it needs as of now: new horn, chain and sprockets, seat cover(on the way), rear drum shoes, front tire (rear is in great shape though I will be purchasing as a set just in case), fork seals and dust boots. There is sure to be more in the future..

Looking forward to participating and learning from all the knowledgeable folks here
1980 KZ550A-1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hello from Utah! 10 Mar 2019 11:36 #800085

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
  • Thank you received: 511
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationWelcome renrip

If you are pushing buttons and nothing is happening you should pick up a can of this stuff and do (every) connection front to back, Great stuff!
Clean the connections first then check if needed.

Where in Utah?
My wife and I rode the heck out of Southern UT, Loved it!
78 KZ1000 A2A

Hello from Utah! 10 Mar 2019 16:49 #800117

• renrip
  • User
De-Oxit is definitely on the list of things to pick up! Thank you for the suggestion though. Didn’t have much time to check everything out in the control pod unfortunately.

I’m up north near Salt Lake actually. Absolutely beautiful state! Planning on taking a short hammock camping trip that way once I feel confident in the KZ.
1980 KZ550A-1

Hello from Utah! 17 Mar 2019 18:12 #800518

• rstnick
  • User
  • Thank you received: 373
Welcome.
With just over 10,000 miles, she should have lots of life left in her.
Did a solenoid swap fix the starting issue?
Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

Hello from Utah! 17 Mar 2019 22:46 #800546

• renrip
  • User
Thanks, excited to learn as much as I can about these bikes. Have already benefited from the vast knowledge base here!

Motor is strong! Huge difference between the KZ and my prior bike which was a 77 Yamaha XS500D though it has only 2 more horsepower. That bike was in awful condition, as well as a major lack of parts available...

Took her for a short ride after charging the battery that came with it (will be buying a new battery soon) and she rips! Such an enjoyable bike to ride.

After going through all the wiring and swapping out the solenoid just in case, turns out the spring fused itself to the plastic starter button. Should have checked that first :laugh: Easy fix as I have a spring I can use as a temporary replacement until I order a new button.

Will be titling and getting her registered this week.
1980 KZ550A-1

• Page: