New 1982 kz1100 owner

• ssugi09
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
08 May 2018 19:31 #783104 by ssugi09
New 1982 kz1100 owner was created by ssugi09
Hello!

I just purchased a 1982 KZ1100 and honestly I love it already. I am not very mechanically inclined but I really do want to do a few small things on my new-old bike. I have researched a ton (at least it seemed like it), but I just find it all a little overwhelming considering I have little to no experience with motorcycles. The first thing I wanted to do was replace the ignition switch. It seems the previous owner replaced the key switch but they replaced it with one that is too wide to fit back into the housing. I guess how do I know which part exactly to get that will fit. Are there any resources that I could find/use that are extremely dumbed down?

Thanks!

Shayna

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 May 2018 21:59 #783394 by azman857
Replied by azman857 on topic New 1982 kz1100 owner
If this is your first bike, may I suggest you take a rider's safety class. I would also suggest a smaller, throw away bike to get used to riding. Like a Honda Rebel or a KZ 305. It's very easy to go 0 to OH SHIT!! in .02 sec. Welcome to motorcycle riding an KZR.

I don't have a plan and I'm sticken' to it! '77 KZ 650 / 750 GPz custom project in progress

More
15 May 2018 06:19 - 15 May 2018 06:22 #783399 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic New 1982 kz1100 owner
Welcome, Shayna!

If you are new to riding, I second what azman867 said.

An amazing number of parts are still available at your local Kawasaki dealership, though some are more helpful than others. Z1Enterprises, an advertiser on this site, is a very good source of parts, too.

One of the first things I recommend is getting a genuine Kawasaki factory service manual for your exact year and model. Several are available here under the Articles tab. Otherwise, you can troll eBay for one. The aftermarket (Haynes, Clymer, and such) manuals are better than none, but not as thorough as the factory book.
As many of these old bikes have been sorely neglected, the best place to start in the manual is the section on routine maintenance. Start at he top of he list and work your way down. You can eliminate a lot of current and future problems this way.

Don't be afraid to ask questions, there are a lot of helpful, knowledgable folks around here.

Oh yes....... There are a bunch of picaholics on this discussion board. We need pics of your bike to keep us sane :silly:

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
Last edit: 15 May 2018 06:22 by TexasKZ.

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
15 May 2018 10:12 #783411 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic New 1982 kz1100 owner
Welcome to KZRider
You are in the right place to get plenty of help
Dave

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn