New to it all

More
13 Mar 2018 20:08 #780196 by bradyvaughn
New to it all was created by bradyvaughn
Hey a buddy of mine gave me a 1983 Kawasaki Kz750 Spectre i am 100% new to motorcycles this is my first and im excited. Need info and as many people willing to help with the rebuild im about to face. Thanks in advance!

Attachment not found

Attachment not found

Attachment not found

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Mar 2018 23:28 - 13 Mar 2018 23:34 #780201 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic New to it all
Welcome aboard!!
First, you will need this. It does not cover the Spectre, but the LTD is almost identical ---
www.kzrider.com/modules/ServiceManuals/KZ750E1&H1.pdf

Here are some parts diagrams--
www.partzilla.com/catalog/kawasaki/motor...983/spectre-kz750-n2

Here are some pics that might be helpful. www.bikesrestored.com/3000/kawasaki-kz750-spectre-1983/

Some basic metric tools and some JIS screwdrivers, or suitabley modified Phillips screwdrivers, will get you started.

If it will start and run, a compression check, or even better, a leak down test, will help you determine the basic health of the rings and valves.
If that works out ok, then perform ALL of the routine maintenance. That will eliminate a host of problems, and will greatly reduce the possible solutions to any remaining problems.
You may need to replace a lot of rubber parts, like carb holders, air box to carb boots, o-rings and such, that have deteriorated over the years. If the tires are more than 5 years old, or are showing a lot of surface cracks, replace them
Post lots of pictures and ask many questions.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
Last edit: 13 Mar 2018 23:34 by TexasKZ.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.