New member from Northern Illinois

More
07 Mar 2018 07:00 #779863 by BDSLTD
New member from Northern Illinois was created by BDSLTD
I had a 75 Z1B 900 when I was 20 but sold it when I got married. Loved that bike. I’m 59 now and recently retired. I’m buying an all stock 16k mile ‘78 1000B2 LTD this weekend and am excited as heck! It hasn’t been ridden in a couple years, needs a battery and I guess one the carbs is leaking gas. My plans for the bike are:
1. New battery
2. New Kerker 4-1 header
3. Dyna S electronic ignition and coils
4. K&N filter pods
5. Carb rebuild and rejet
6. Bleed brake fluid

Would like to know the best place to buy the components I’m looking to add. Will keep all the stock stuff and store it so I can put it back to stock later.

Looking forward to spending a lot of time on this forum!

Brian

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Mar 2018 18:24 - 07 Mar 2018 18:29 #779891 by KZJOE900
Replied by KZJOE900 on topic New member from Northern Illinois
Welcome aboard! Z1Enteprises is a good place for parts. They have an ad here on the top of the forum page. Just click on the ad. There are others of course, as well as eBay. But for new parts, they are hard to beat. You will most likely need a few other parts to attend to. First is the safety items like brakes , etc. Make sure the M/C and calipers are in top functioning order. New braided brake lines is not a bad idea and will improve stopping even compared to new NOS lines. Look at the date codes on the tires. I wouldn't trust tires older than 5 years old myself. Even if they look good on the outside. They may not be safe. I would check the torque on all safety related bolts and nuts (front axle clamps, triple tree clamps, handle bars, breaks, rear shocks, rear axle and chain adjustment, etc...) You would be surprised what I found lacking on a couple of my bikes from the prior owners. Example, I had a sprocket that did not have the lock washer tabs bent up to keep the mounting nuts from walking. Same thing with the front sprocket. Loose upper shock bolts, I forget what else. Make sure the fuel petcock functions properly. This way if any of the float valves fail, you can at least be able to shut the tank off when the bike is sitting. Check the front for oil level. Not a bad idea to replace it anyway. Mine had no signs of a for seal leak. That was because there was no fork oil left in there to leak.
Post some pictures of your bike. Nothing we love better than pictures.

Current project 76 KZ900 (This was a Vetter model)
76 KZ900
81 XJ550H SECA (Current Project)
82 XJ550R SECA
Past:
86 FJ1200
74 Z1900
72 CB450
Last edit: 07 Mar 2018 18:29 by KZJOE900.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BDSLTD

• Rainman
  • Sustaining Member
  • and a little Kaw shall lead them
More
07 Mar 2018 19:32 #779898 by Rainman
Replied by Rainman on topic New member from Northern Illinois
Welcome BDSLTD from west central Illinois.

80 KZ750 H1 - the Kaw calf
79 KZ750 Twin - Miss Nov 2008 KZR calander
79 KZ750 Twin parts bike
78 KZ650 C2 Parts Bike
75 KZ400 Wife's old bike sold
81 KZ440 A2 LTD Wife's new bike
84 Honda 450 Rebel Wife's newest bike
Jim
Quincy,IL
The following user(s) said Thank You: BDSLTD

More
07 Mar 2018 19:38 #779899 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic New member from Northern Illinois
You mention that the bike is all stock. Be SURE to take very good care of any stock bits you remove because if in decent condition they are worth more than the aftermarket stuff you replace them with. Aftermarket stuff has been made for that bike for 40 years and is still made and readily available. Stock stuff for that bike was made for a very short period 40 years ago and can be quite rare and expensive. If you someday decide to sell you may want to return it to stock condition as that will bump up the value. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: SWest, BDSLTD

More
08 Mar 2018 08:43 #779923 by BDSLTD
Replied by BDSLTD on topic New member from Northern Illinois

650ed wrote: You mention that the bike is all stock. Be SURE to take very good care of any stock bits you remove because if in decent condition they are worth more than the aftermarket stuff you replace them with. Aftermarket stuff has been made for that bike for 40 years and is still made and readily available. Stock stuff for that bike was made for a very short period 40 years ago and can be quite rare and expensive. If you someday decide to sell you may want to return it to stock condition as that will bump up the value. Ed

Yes I will keep and take care of all the stock parts I remove from the bike. These bikes will only go up in value. I'm also looking at a friends 74 Z1 900 tomorrow that he wants to sell. If anything it will be a good investment.

Who is a good insurance supplier for these vintage bikes? I tried Grundy since I have them for my 70 Camaro and 72 C10 but they don't offer bike insurance..

More
08 Mar 2018 17:09 #779951 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic New member from Northern Illinois
Welcome Brian.

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s