New guy from Southern Illinois

More
18 Dec 2017 21:19 #776324 by Idle Ender
New guy from Southern Illinois was created by Idle Ender
Ive had my KZ650 project bike for more than a year now and figured Id finally sign up here. I guess I should explain a little about myself first, right? Well, Im more of a car mechanic than a bike guy, but Ive wanted a UJM type of bike since I was a kid. I had initially planned on something sub-400cc, but this 650 kind of fell into my lap. Fast forward to now; Im $800 into two KZs, neither of which run. Lol. Im currently in the process of smashing the two together and hoping for the best. With any luck I can recoup some of my losses by selling the extra parts. (Hit me up.) The first bike is a strippo 80 KZ650F1 with the engine out of it and half the bike missing. I bought it from an acquaintance for entirely too much. First mistake. Thankfully, it had a clean title. The second bike, which I bought just a few days ago, is a much more complete bike. Its an 81 KZ750 LTD with all the bells and whistles. Adjustable shocks, discs all the way around, and a brand new fatty Bridgestone on the back. Ive still got lots welding, wiring, and tuning to do. Up until now I hadnt really communicated with anyone else about it. Im hoping I can get this thing rolling soon enough. Wish me luck!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Dec 2017 05:01 #776330 by Daftrusty
Replied by Daftrusty on topic New guy from Southern Illinois
Welcome!
How far South do you live? Like SIUE, SIUC or real real south?

I see you have the 650 bodywork sitting on the 750. If that’s the route you are going, then virtually everything on the 750 will bolt right onto the 650 frame. Including the engine. Saves you from having to modify the frame to accept the 650 bodywork.
With a helper you could do it in a day. Swapping the wiring harness would literally be the most time consuming part.

Looks like fun!

More
19 Dec 2017 08:00 #776334 by Idle Ender
Replied by Idle Ender on topic New guy from Southern Illinois
Im not too far from SIUE. I thought about going that route, but this seemed like the easier course. Modifying the frame a tiny bit will take much less time than swapping everything over. Lol. Besides, the title for the 650 kind of sketches me out. Either way I have to pull the 750 from the frame. I got the bike dirt cheap because it fell off a trailer. Cracked the crankcase wide open. The plan is to get the 650 engine sorted and pop it in there.

• Rainman
  • Sustaining Member
  • and a little Kaw shall lead them
More
19 Dec 2017 10:30 #776343 by Rainman
Replied by Rainman on topic New guy from Southern Illinois
Welcome Idle Ender

80 KZ750 H1 - the Kaw calf
79 KZ750 Twin - Miss Nov 2008 KZR calander
79 KZ750 Twin parts bike
78 KZ650 C2 Parts Bike
75 KZ400 Wife's old bike sold
81 KZ440 A2 LTD Wife's new bike
84 Honda 450 Rebel Wife's newest bike
Jim
Quincy,IL

More
19 Dec 2017 15:53 #776363 by Daftrusty
Replied by Daftrusty on topic New guy from Southern Illinois
I lived in and around Edwardsville for almost 40 years. I still find that when ever I go back to visit family or friends I always check out the local Craigslist ads for any cool motorcycles or parts....just in case.

I'm all to familiar with the sketchy titles. I have passed up some good deals on cool bikes because "my girlfriends cousins ex-boyfriends best friend has the title, so as soon as he finds it I will send it to you."

Keep us posted on your progress!