Hi from down under

More
22 Nov 2017 03:07 - 22 Nov 2017 03:09 #774912 by qwerk
Hi from down under was created by qwerk
Hi Everyone
Just introducing myself here.

I live in Australia, in the Blue Mountains.

I've recently found myself getting back into motorbikes after a decade away from them where circumstance made it challenging to own a bike and look after and protect it properly.

Rather than buy a modern bike and enjoy trouble free riding I've gone down the path of buying a 1980 z650 F1 which needs lots of work to get running again. As I've owned a z650 before and really loved it, the choice of my next ride was made easily, but it was hard to find a good project to take on, they are a rare bike now in Australia.

My last bike was a 1985 Suzuki GSXR750 that I rebuilt from the ground up and enjoyed until some prick stole it and wrote it off while being chased by the police.

As the rebuild is going to be mildly customized I spend more time researching (how to) write ups and buying parts than I do working on the bike, it'll be a slow rebuild, the 'hand brake' and two squids under 10 will make it slower.

I hope I can contribute to the forum while asking questions, I've got a few already, such as check the photo of the bent up engine fin, it looks intentional to make the top front right engine mount nut captive but why!! Could be an accident but based on a few other dodgy parts on the bike I'm not so sure.

Pics show the complete bike as bought and as it stands now.

I'm having so much fun doing this rebuild and getting an old Kawaka back on the road and that make me happy :)
Attachments:
Last edit: 22 Nov 2017 03:09 by qwerk.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Nov 2017 06:06 #774915 by Wozza
Replied by Wozza on topic Hi from down under
Hi! Cool bike hope you have fun with it.

1982 KZ550H1

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
More
22 Nov 2017 13:10 #774935 by Scirocco
Replied by Scirocco on topic Hi from down under
Hello and welcome qwerk.
You have a nice bike with a great potential and a good basis for a daily rider.
Be free to ask any question about the other dodgy parts on the bike.
It looks like some PO do some little unnecessary force to the fin, why ever
The crack on the engine fin is not so bad as it look like,no engine oil was leaking out the upper engine housing.
The nut was pushed in to bent back the fin to prevent the crack go deeper into the casting. A little welding work should fix the crack.

More
22 Nov 2017 13:14 #774936 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic Hi from down under
Welcome qwerk...welcome to KZR :)

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

More
22 Nov 2017 18:31 #774950 by Nerdy
Replied by Nerdy on topic Hi from down under

qwerk wrote: it'll be a slow rebuild, the 'hand brake' and two squids under 10 will make it slower.

Welcome to KZR!

Some good spade work may help with the handbrake. Hey, maybe you can get the sprogs involved in the project - et voilĂ , quality family time! :D

1979 KZ400 Gifted to a couple of nephews
1967 Yamaha YCS1 Bonanza
1980 KZ440B
1981 Yamaha XT250H
1981 KZ440 LTD project bike
1981 GPz550
2013 Yamaha FZ6R