Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Hello from Michigan! kz440 ltd here 16 Aug 2017 20:20 #769135

• marypsi
  • marypsi's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I'm from the Ypsilanti area, to be more exact. I've ridden off and on, but would probably consider myself still a beginner rider. I've got a 1982 kz440 ltd, belt drive. A questioned for the more seasoned kz440 riders- are there any weird traits about this bike, or things to watch out for? Thank you! Looking forward to keeping up on this site and forum.
1982 kz440 ltd, belt drive, named "Isabella"
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hello from Michigan! kz440 ltd here 16 Aug 2017 21:20 #769140

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1899
Hello marypsi and welcome to the KZR board
To get in touch with your bike "Isabella", you have to do some maintenance.
This service manual will lead you to a good daily runner.

www.kzrider.com/modules/ServiceManuals/kz440.pdf
Attachments:

Hello from Michigan! kz440 ltd here 16 Aug 2017 23:27 #769143

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2067
Welcome aboard!
There are a couple of things to be aware of on these old bikes.
Previous owners often neglected routine maintenance. It is best to assume that none has ever been done. It is a good idea to open the factory service manual to that section and do all the tasks in order. In doing them, you may prevent bigger problems in the future and you will have a bike that is a joy to ride.
All those cross-head screws are not Phillips head, they are JIS. A proper set of screwdrivers will save much grief and wrecked screw heads.
Tires deteriorate with age, no matter how much tread is left. If they are more than five years old, or have visible cracks, replace them. They are cheaper than skin grafts.
These old Kawasakis are well built and reliable, given a little care. A clean, well-tuned bike will put a smile on your face every time.

There are a bunch of knowledgeable and helpful folks here (a few are both :whistle: ). Don't be afraid to ask questions.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

Hello from Michigan! kz440 ltd here 17 Aug 2017 07:32 #769150

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1621
Be very careful when changing the air filter as the plastic is now 35 years old. The airbox cap on the 440s is hard to find, so don't break it. Also, when re-installing the airbox cap, apparently it's easy to do it wrong on the 440, causing a vacuum leak. I'm not very familiar with your bike, but the test is to gently pull up on the back of it --- It shouldn't move. Don't break it. I think the cap is supposed to be fitted into some grooves on the sides of the airbox. This may be one of those simple things that only a goober could mess up. hee.

• Page: