(Soon to be) Owner of 1981 KZ1000 CSR, N. Dakota

• BarnyardCoral
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
18 May 2017 11:22 - 18 May 2017 20:46 #762145 by BarnyardCoral
Hey all,
Just briefly saying hi. Buying a KZ1000 CSR this weekend, will have more info and photos later. Grew up on my dad's bikes (in order of purchase (just for context and riding history), 1978 CB400T, 1977 CB750F, 03 SV650S, 03 ZRX1200R (weeeeee), 05 ST1300), figured it was high time to get something myself. Live in the worst place on earth to own a motorcycle, Grand Forks, ND. However, a KZ1000 would be a good bike for long, straight roads though. More info later.

One immediate question: does anyone know where I can get CSR 1000 emblems? None of ebay, oldkawguy.com doesn't seem to have them either. Hard to find piece it seems. Thanks in advance!

Grand Forks, ND
1981 KZ1000 CSR
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba...." - HST
Last edit: 18 May 2017 20:46 by BarnyardCoral.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 May 2017 11:35 - 18 May 2017 11:37 #762148 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic (Soon to be) Owner of 1981 KZ1000 CSR, N. Dakota
Howdy. For the emblems just keep checking eb weekly. or try a motorcycle salvage yard.
If not road rashed or scraped up too bad, emblems can be refurbished.
DiabloCycle has reproduction badges, but they are pricy.

eb --- CSR 1000 side cover w emblem
Last edit: 18 May 2017 11:37 by martin_csr.

More
18 May 2017 12:03 #762150 by 650ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• BarnyardCoral
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
18 May 2017 12:13 #762151 by BarnyardCoral
Replied by BarnyardCoral on topic (Soon to be) Owner of 1981 KZ1000 CSR, N. Dakota
Beauty, thanks.

/clicks link
/sees price
/spits out coffee

Uffda.

Grand Forks, ND
1981 KZ1000 CSR
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba...." - HST

• BarnyardCoral
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
26 May 2017 18:37 #762819 by BarnyardCoral
Replied by BarnyardCoral on topic (Soon to be) Owner of 1981 KZ1000 CSR, N. Dakota
Hey all, just got the bike last weekend, thought I'd share some photos. It's in quite good condition (as far as I've looked at it), though it's not without its faults.

The Good: Pulls hard, no stumbling or bogging, no tears in seat, carbs supersonically cleaned, MAC 4 into 1, K&N 2 into 1 pods (not inherently good but easier to install on and access carbs obvs), frame is clean and straight, dials are in good condition, runs, drives, stops.

The Bad: I suspect it's running quite lean since it has the stock jets with an aftermarket muffler (that's very blued) and K&N pods (have not pulled and inspected spark plugs yet); there is a strange problem with the motor wanting to idle at 4k rpm, can get down to idle if I slow down and only pull the clutch as I get down to 1k rpm and stop, but a couple seconds later it revs up to 4k, have to modulate with clutch at a stop; knocking noise in starter clutch likely due to backed out screws; petcock doing nothing to stop the flow of gas (soaked petcock in gas for 24 hrs, bought new gaskets, will rebuild and document this weekend).

The Ugly: Thankfully, nothing yet!

Sent off the tank and side covers to get a nice shiny paint job, looking forward to how those turn out.

Grand Forks, ND
1981 KZ1000 CSR
Attachments:

• Kray-Z
  • User
  • I need more power Scotty....
More
27 May 2017 23:56 #762925 by Kray-Z
Hey, not bad at all.

I've got an 81 CSR, but will be selling it soon - ish. Keeping the spokes for a future project (replaced w/ 81 LTD wheels before selling) as I like the way they look with the tank's shape. Rebuilding the engine before selling, as it always burned tons of oil since I've owned it. Took mine to the strip like that, and with 30,000 miles, a damp and cold day, a grabby clutch and shitty rear tire, ran best 12.67 @103 mph. Tied with a 2004 Yam. V-max up to the 1000' mark. Engine survived a few journeys to 10,500 RPM, crossing the line still in 3rd gear! Found it actually went quicker shifting at 8,500, though. Power drops off quick after that (mild stock cams). Not bad for a bike I paid $ 500.00 for!

BTW, I'd say the straight roads aren't as bad as the 5-6 months of bitterly cold winter...I'm about 2.5 hours north of you...

Need used parts? Try Sport Wheel in Minni...go and search the yard yourself is best . 6 acres! Bob's Cycle shack in GF - you have to ask him to see his off - site stash to actually find out what he has - he seems to be a little absent minded and overly optimistic when it comes to his actual inventory of parts bikes...

High Idle - replace the carb manifolds w/ new. Our extreme cold climate ruins them faster than most. Check the ign. advancer mech for free movement and rust and spray w/ rust protective oil

Good luck with your new to you KZ. I like my CSR - they are a fun bike. I'm selling it only because I just have too many, so sadly it must go...

2-04 R1, 81 CSR1000, 81 LTD1000, 2-83 GPz1100, 3-79CBX, 81 CBX, 3-XS650, 84 Venture, +parts
Quote "speed costs money...how fast do you want to go?" (Which Z movie?)
Universal formula for how many motorcycles one should own = n + 1, where n is how many motorcycles you own right now....

• Kray-Z
  • User
More
28 May 2017 00:00 #762926 by Kray-Z
BTW - I noticed someone has swapped out the engine side covers and ignition housing on yours - the originals were chrome plated...

2-04 R1, 81 CSR1000, 81 LTD1000, 2-83 GPz1100, 3-79CBX, 81 CBX, 3-XS650, 84 Venture, +parts
Universal formula for how many motorcycles one should own = n + 1, where n is how many motorcycles you own right now....

More
28 May 2017 04:46 - 28 May 2017 05:00 #762932 by 650ed
I don't think so. I believe you will find they were polished rather than plated. (Search eBay with "kz1000-csr" "engine" "side" "cover" for more examples). Polished covers can be pretty shiny. Ed

Attachments:
Last edit: 28 May 2017 05:00 by 650ed.

• BarnyardCoral
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
28 May 2017 05:31 #762933 by BarnyardCoral
2.5 hours north, sooooo right smack dab in in Winnipeg. I take it back. YOU live in the worst place to own a motorcycle. Your riding season is the same length as mine, but you've got Winnipeg roads to contend with AND Manitoba insurance rates to pay. I'm from Winnipeg originally, and I've got some cousins up there who have Vstrom 650s. Manitoba motorcycle insurance rates are borderline criminal.

I just discovered the Cycle Shack and Bob's Cycle in town, have not gone there yet. As for Sport Wheel, I grew up 20 min north of there, used to go there occasionally with my dad to find stuff for his old Honda CBs. I'll go there when eBay, Amazon, and Z1enterprises shut down and I win the lottery...maybe. They have lots of stuff if you're willing to pay the price.

I'll be ordering new carb holders as soon as i have a few extra bucks to toss at the bike, along with a Dynojet stage 3 carb kit. Didn't think of the ign adv so thanks for that tip.

As for your $500 purchase, always nice to get a sweet deal for a sweet ride. I got mine for $300!

Grand Forks, ND
1981 KZ1000 CSR

• Kray-Z
  • User
More
28 May 2017 09:10 #762943 by Kray-Z
Yeah, MPI insurance, like everything else done and run by our MB. government, is a total disaster, and an absurdly expensive one at that. Makes sport wheel's prices look like freebies. I'm not quite in Winnipeg...35 miles east just outside a micro - town where animals graze on the side of main street.

Ed - my original 1981 KZ1000M covers are chrome, and I had an article from a 1982 Cycle magazine showing they were chrome, also. The service manual pictures look like chrome. Just on the 1000CSR, but definitely chrome...not polished. I have removed and stored those covers, and am keeping them for use on my new beater's mongrel engine. Two years ago a pair of parts only 1000's were sold by a guy up here, an LTD and a CSR. The CSR were chrome, the LTD were polished...I have two parts LTD's as well as the CSR.

The ignition housing and cover, alternator, and clutch covers. All are chrome, and definitely factory (haven't chipped, peeled, or show nickel shadowing).

• Kray-Z
  • User
More
28 May 2017 09:34 - 28 May 2017 09:37 #762947 by Kray-Z
Here, this is the issue of Cycle... www.dadsvintageads.com/catalog.php/dadsv..._Magazine_Back_Issue

At the start of a road trip in fall 1983, I bought my copy in...Grand Forks!

Last edit: 28 May 2017 09:37 by Kray-Z.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

More
28 May 2017 12:21 #762962 by 650ed

Kray-Z wrote: .....................Ed - my original 1981 KZ1000M covers are chrome, and I had an article from a 1982 Cycle magazine showing they were chrome, also. The service manual pictures look like chrome. Just on the 1000CSR, but definitely chrome...not polished. I have removed and stored those covers, and am keeping them for use on my new beater's mongrel engine. Two years ago a pair of parts only 1000's were sold by a guy up here, an LTD and a CSR. The CSR were chrome, the LTD were polished...I have two parts LTD's as well as the CSR.

The ignition housing and cover, alternator, and clutch covers. All are chrome, and definitely factory (haven't chipped, peeled, or show nickel shadowing).

Thanks for the information. I didn't know Ma Kaw chromed any engine pieces other than the starter cover. Ed