How's it going eh?

More
27 Apr 2017 20:52 #760445 by osee
How's it going eh? was created by osee
Hi Guy's I recently pulled my dad's 1978 kz1000 back into the shop after being neglected outside for years. hasn't run since the late 80's the trans is piled up. the motor is dry seized but i'd bet the bore is trash on any cylinder with an open valve. The good news is he has another motor out of a 900, but the catch is it's completely disassembled.

I'd like to get the bike back up and running with a cafe/bratstyle theme to it, he had quite the reputation with that bike in the local area, and I can't stand seeing it neglected.
Are there any good post's on complete rebuilds with torque spec's and clearances?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• TexasKZ
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
More
27 Apr 2017 21:39 - 27 Apr 2017 21:40 #760447 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic How's it going eh?
Welcome aboard.
Are you sure the trans is trashed?
I would determine for sure the condition of the engine in he bike before I would dive into boxes of engine parts.
All the info you have asked about is available in the factory service manual. I believe there is a downloadable one for your year and model on the home page of this website.
You will also need some specialty tools like JIS, or modified Phillips screw drivers, a pair of torque wrenches (one in inch-pounds and one in ft-lbs) and some carb synchronizers.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
Last edit: 27 Apr 2017 21:40 by TexasKZ.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
28 Apr 2017 03:43 #760458 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic How's it going eh?
Welcome to KZRider
Factory service manual is first step . Follow it to pull motor and disassemble as needed.
Cant hurt to see what is needed in the motor you have first as you can learn about its workings during tear down. Which will help when it is time to build it back to running condition .
Also Motor is not a 78 as all covers are from a newer model year.
Dave B) B) B)

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1