Freshie

• Kz250 enthusiast
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
03 Dec 2016 03:02 #749333 by Kz250 enthusiast
Freshie was created by Kz250 enthusiast
Hey guys, I just bought a 1984 kz250w ltd. I don't think it needs to much done to it to get it on road. I'm pretty new to riding and what not so I will be posting plenty of questions about it. Cheers here's a photo
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Dec 2016 09:38 #749349 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Freshie
Welcome aboard!
It looks like a previous owner spent some time modifying your LTD. I hope he or she knew how to do things properly, though the missing air filter box suggests otherwise. I hope you got that very important part, as getting a 250 with a constant velocity carb to run right without one borders on the impossible. There have been a couple of recent attempts by board members. Give the search box a workout and see what you can come up with.
In the mean time, there are a couple of very important tools you will need.
1. A genuine Kawasaki factory service manual for your specific year and model. An aftermarket manual like Clymer or Haynes is better than nothing, but no substitute for the real thing.
2. A set of JIS cross head screwdrivers, or suitably modified Phillips drivers. Those likely buggered up cross head screws all over your bike are not Phillips screws. Too many people try to use the wrong tool and wreck the heads. Z1Enterprises ( a vendor on this forum) and other fine tool sellers can fix you up with them.
3. Yes, I said a couple. Like previous owners, I lied. Seriously search this site for help with your questions. Ask many questions. Post pictures.
4. Once you have a manual and some basic tools, I recommend performing ALL the required maintenance items listed in the fsm, especially insuring that the valve clearances are within the specified range. Too many owners neglect this, and the results can be an impossible to tune engine or even expensive damage. These old engines are not complicated, so don't be afraid to dive in and keep it healthy.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

• Kz250 enthusiast
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
03 Dec 2016 12:57 #749374 by Kz250 enthusiast
Replied by Kz250 enthusiast on topic Freshie
Hi Texas thanks for your help. Yeah the air filter box has been replaced with another air filter, would that would be a problem? I didn't revive the old one either. After I had a thorough look at the bike when I got home there were a few concerning things like the rust and paint in the fuel tank for inatance.