Hello everybody.

More
16 Oct 2016 21:10 #745400 by Themockunit
Hello everybody. was created by Themockunit
Hello everybody.

New to the the whole motorcyle seen. Just bought myself a 1981 KZ1000. Picked it up for a $1000.

Is the anything that I should be looking at for problems areas, or thing to look out for. Just wondering.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Oct 2016 05:24 #745410 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Hello everybody.
Welcome aboard!

These are pretty reliable bikes, but they are getting old and most have had multiple owners. First, I'd recommend performing ALL the routine maintenance and tune up items as specified in the genuine Kawasaki factory Service Manual (fsm). Get a copy. If you. Would like a PDF version, you can pm me your email address and I'll send it along.
Second, despite how they look, those cross head screws are not Phillips, they are JIS. The correct screwdrivers are available from Z1E and other tool sellers. Phillips drivers can also be modified to work. Hopefully 650Ed will post his detailed explanation soon.
Engine oil has changed a lot since the 1980s. The engine, transmission and clutch on your KZ share the same oil. Modern automotive oil has friction modifiers that damage wet clutches. Only use oil that has met JASO MA or JASO MA2 specifications.
Keep the shiny side up.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

More
17 Oct 2016 06:13 #745415 by Jussumguy
Replied by Jussumguy on topic Hello everybody.
Welcome to the site. Nice bike, looks fairly complete. Did you get the back fender with it? Does it run? I'm sure you will get all the help you need right here.
I saw one just like yours on Craigslist last week. I was real tempted to call but they sell pretty fast around here.

• slmjim+Z1BEBE
  • User
  • Enjoy Life! IT HAS AN EXPIRATION DATE!
More
17 Oct 2016 06:30 #745417 by slmjim+Z1BEBE
Replied by slmjim+Z1BEBE on topic Hello everybody.

Themockunit wrote: Hello everybody.

New to the the whole motorcyle seen.

Welcome. Is this your first bike?

+1 on the JIS screwdrivers,and FSM.

Good Ridin'
slmjim & Z1BEBE

A biker looks at your engine and chrome.
A Rider looks at your odometer and tags.

1973 ('72 builds) Z1 x2
1974 Z1-A x2
1975 Z1-B x2
1993 CB 750 Nighthawk x2
2009 ST1300A

www.kawasaki-z-classik.com
An enthusiast's forum focused exclusively
on all things Z1, Z2 and KZ900.

More
17 Oct 2016 14:35 #745473 by Themockunit
Replied by Themockunit on topic Hello everybody.
Thanks every one. This is my first bike.

It does run and I do have the original service book for it. I also got the rear fender just have to fund some bolts that fit cause the guy I bought it from took it off for some reason.

More
18 Oct 2016 07:38 #745536 by tv_cafewannabe
Replied by tv_cafewannabe on topic Hello everybody.
Welcome and congrats on the bike. If this is your first bike, take it easy. That bike is rather powerful for a new rider (though nothing like a more modern bike). Might want to check out a local riding class that likely offers small displacement bikes to do a bit of familiarization, if you haven't done that already.