New member from NH

More
30 Oct 2015 04:03 - 30 Oct 2015 04:33 #696509 by RayJM
New member from NH was created by RayJM
Hi everyone my name is Ray and I'm looking to pick up my first "project". Im planning on checking out a 1980 kz440 tomorrow with the help of a friend that is more knowledgeable then me. I am as new as it gets in terms of working on a bike but I am pretty resourceful with my hands and pick up things rather quickly. Luckily whether its the kz or another bike I've got some friends that a very knowledgeable in regards to fixing up bikes. Plus where I will be storing/working on the bike at a buddies house who is restoring an old yamaha so I should have someone to fall back on should I get stuck. The bike in question is currently not running. The PO rode it this summer and claims that the engine seized up while tuning the carbs. The price seems reasonable and from the pics it looks like its in pretty good shape(just pics though). My plan is try and get her running this winter to have something to ride come spring. Once its running ill update more of the aesthetics, plus I should have a better knowledge base when that time comes. I understand how an engine works however I am always looking for more info, most things after a quick google are just a basic explanation of how a motorcycle engine works. Ive been here obviously and have checked out z400.com my problem is a lot of you guys here are far more advanced than I so a lot of your threads seem a bit foreign to me. So after this long winded post I guess my question is does anyone have any good sites or videos to check out for basic diagnosis for issues. The PO for this bike that I hope to grab hasn't bothered to pull it apart and see if they know whats up so it could be anything from getting some penetrating oil in there and cleaning things up all the way to some major engine work. I appreciate your time checking my thread out and hopefully Ill be a fairly active member here and get some updates up. Ill attach a pic or two of the bike that I'm hoping to scoop up.

Also here is what the PO said in his add regarding what he's done to it lately. "I have a KZ 440 for sale. Custom fender/seat. Changed handlebars. Brand new tires mounted and balanced. New oil and filter. Carbs just cleaned! Stock airbox and filter. New battery. Tank had a leak which ruined the paint but I just had it professionally cleaned and de rusted and sealed. Now the badness the motor I believe just seized. Didn't run out of oil. Just fine tuning the carbs one day and the motor seized. I'm sure it can be taken apart and fixed I just don't feel like it. Recent NH registration MAKE ME AN OFFER Kawasaki"
Attachments:
Last edit: 30 Oct 2015 04:33 by RayJM.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
30 Oct 2015 04:39 #696514 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic New member from NH
I'd pass on this one unless it's $200 or less. Though it may look good, he has already hacked it up and there's no telling what he did to the engine. I'd be looking for something stock and go from there.
Steve

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
30 Oct 2015 04:40 #696515 by SWest

More
30 Oct 2015 04:43 #696516 by RayJM
Replied by RayJM on topic New member from NH
Thanks for the quick reply and welcome. The ad has the bike listed at $300 but I planned on offering $200 and going from there.

More
30 Oct 2015 04:45 #696517 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic New member from NH
Unless you have a friend who is very knowledgeable about these bikes who will check it over carefully before you buy it, I recommend that you keep looking. The engine may only need a relatively easy repair, or it may be ruined. Is the owner really knowledgeable about electrical systems, or is it really bodged up?
On such an old bike that has been modified by an ameture, the list of potential problems is almost endless. I'd hate to see you dive into something that will frustrate you so much, that it never gets finished.
I recommend shopping for one that is mechanically sound. Most of the cosmetic mod you may be interested in can be done a little at a time, while you still get the pleasure of riding it.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

More
30 Oct 2015 04:46 #696519 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic New member from NH
Oh yes, welcome to the madness. It can be habit forming!

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

More
30 Oct 2015 04:50 #696520 by RayJM
Hmm looks like the early on consensus is to pass :(. I appreciate the honest opinions on this bike, while I am confident in myself picking things up quickly I definitely don't want to get frustrated early on and have this project fall apart.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
30 Oct 2015 04:57 - 30 Oct 2015 04:59 #696521 by SWest
At $2-300 the parts are worth that much. It's what has to go into it that costs $$. Time too. It cost me $2500 to get it to this point.

From this

To this and counting.
A lot of times a Bobber is made because of a wreck or some other damage. The beauty of buying one in stock shape is you can tell if it has been taken care of or if it has damage. You may chose to Bob it but it will be your choice and you know what you have to start with.
Steve
Attachments:
Last edit: 30 Oct 2015 04:59 by SWest.

More
30 Oct 2015 05:02 #696522 by RayJM
Ya I get what your saying. Its better to start from stock because I won't have to worry about other peoples mistakes, not that stock bikes don't have any problems either but I definitely understand where your coming from. I think I'm getting to the point of not even going to check it out now. The search my have to start fresh!

More
30 Oct 2015 05:04 #696523 by RayJM
Your ride looks great BTW Swest.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
30 Oct 2015 05:07 #696524 by SWest
I like to have a spare bike to have parts. If you can find one like it but needs parts but runs. It might be worth it. Like I said, $200 isn't a lot for the good parts.
Steve

More
30 Oct 2015 05:15 #696526 by RayJM
Ok so it might still be worth the look if I can get the right price as a parts bike? Ive been doing most of my initial research on kz440/400, so ideally I would like to stick with one of these pus I like the overall looks of them. Would it be worth picking it up if the price is right and tinkering with it a bit until I find a more stock bike to work on? That way if I do luck out and the engine isn't serious I may be able to stick with it? And worse case the engine/ bike is a lost cause and I use it for parts?