New Member, first project bike.

• MartyrMachine
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
19 Oct 2015 12:02 #695235 by MartyrMachine
Replied by MartyrMachine on topic Re:New Member, first project bike.

dom2570 wrote:

MartyrMachine wrote: Will changing the pipes to straight pipes make the carbs more difficult to tune? The current exhaust setup is a 2-1 but it looks like the previous owner had no clue how to weld... Seriously, I've never welded before in my life but I guarantee I could do a better job than that with an afternoon of training and practice. I'm considering getting a stock setup and just leaving the mufflers off in favor of a shorter setup. Or cutting the ones on there before the welds and just redoing the 2-1.

The carbs from the factory are lean. The pods are going to make the bike run even more lean and the straight pipes are going to make things worse.

Straight pipes are also going to make you lose a lot of back pressure and can easily lead to trashing your valves.

What would you recommend in place of the pod filters? I'm not completely dead set on a dual carb/ pod filter setup. I'm looking for something that will let me ride on the highway for short times if I need it, and isn't a massive headache to keep up with.

1981 KZ440-b
"Martyr Machine"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Oct 2015 12:02 - 19 Oct 2015 12:10 #695236 by punisher11b
Replied by punisher11b on topic Re:New Member, first project bike.

dom2570 wrote:

MartyrMachine wrote: Will changing the pipes to straight pipes make the carbs more difficult to tune? The current exhaust setup is a 2-1 but it looks like the previous owner had no clue how to weld... Seriously, I've never welded before in my life but I guarantee I could do a better job than that with an afternoon of training and practice. I'm considering getting a stock setup and just leaving the mufflers off in favor of a shorter setup. Or cutting the ones on there before the welds and just redoing the 2-1.

The carbs from the factory are lean. The pods are going to make the bike run even more lean and the straight pipes are going to make things worse.

Straight pipes are also going to make you lose a lot of back pressure and can easily lead to trashing your valves.

+1
I would use the stock exhaust, should be easy enough to find. It's expensive to go entirely back to stock( that's why I didn't) but that one I would. If your not looking to go completely back to stock I would still use pods and ditch the CV carbs.
My opinion the single vm-34 setup is the easiest to get tuned and running.

- good luck
Last edit: 19 Oct 2015 12:10 by punisher11b.

• MartyrMachine
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
19 Oct 2015 12:10 - 19 Oct 2015 12:11 #695238 by MartyrMachine

punisher11b wrote:

dom2570 wrote:

+1
I would use the stock exhaust, should be easy enough to find. It's expensive to go entirely back to stock( that's why I didn't) but that one I would. If your not looking to go completely back to stock I would still use pods and ditch the CV carbs.

So, Mikuni carbs and keep the pods?
Edit: I'll look in to the single carb setup. I'm iffy about changing it to 1 carb when the bike came with 2.

1981 KZ440-b
"Martyr Machine"
Last edit: 19 Oct 2015 12:11 by MartyrMachine.

More
19 Oct 2015 12:11 - 19 Oct 2015 12:12 #695239 by dom2570
Replied by dom2570 on topic Re:New Member, first project bike.
I did a VM34 stock headers with some pretty free flowing mufflers. I am eventually going to switch to something a little more restricted and less noisy, but the bike rides fine 70-75. It is so small 80+ is wobbly and a bit scary. Here is a video of when I finally got mine running.

Whip it like a mule!
Last edit: 19 Oct 2015 12:12 by dom2570.

More
19 Oct 2015 12:14 #695240 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Re:New Member, first project bike.
If you still have or can find a stock airbox and filter that would work best. A stock KZ440 will easily exceed 100 mph, so highway riding should not be a problem. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
19 Oct 2015 12:18 #695242 by punisher11b
Replied by punisher11b on topic Re:New Member, first project bike.

650ed wrote: If you still have or can find a stock airbox and filter that would work best. A stock KZ440 will easily exceed 100 mph, so highway riding should not be a problem. Ed

+1
Hands down can't beat a stock setup
I completely understand sticking with two carbs. It's just easier to only tune one. I use mine around town mostly so I never notice. Fast as heck under 60. If you have a few extra bucks I would go with dual carbs. I had a pretty tight budget when I did mine.

- good luck

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
19 Oct 2015 12:19 #695243 by SWest

• MartyrMachine
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
19 Oct 2015 12:46 #695245 by MartyrMachine

650ed wrote: If you still have or can find a stock airbox and filter that would work best. A stock KZ440 will easily exceed 100 mph, so highway riding should not be a problem. Ed

I've found a few of them on eBay, I'll probably go with that setup.

1981 KZ440-b
"Martyr Machine"

More
19 Oct 2015 13:03 - 19 Oct 2015 13:04 #695247 by punisher11b
Replied by punisher11b on topic New Member, first project bike.
I have found that the box isn't to hard to find. Air box ~ $50, The filter cap that holds the filter to the airbox ~ priceless :laugh:

- good luck
Last edit: 19 Oct 2015 13:04 by punisher11b.

More
19 Oct 2015 13:20 - 19 Oct 2015 13:25 #695250 by dom2570
I have two 440s one is stock carbs and airbox and looks pretty, and the other looks ugly and has the single carb. I only did the single carb because I wanted to force myself the basis of carb tuning.

Stock may not look or sound the prettiest, but it is going to perform.

Pods have that “cool“ factor but lose their appeal after you get caught in the rain or hit a heavy cross wind. Learned that the hard way.

The airbox is made up of two components, the box and the snorkel. The boxes are easy to find, but you will have to scour eBay for a snorkel that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. I managed to get mine for $25 after looking every day multiple times a day for a few weeks.

Whip it like a mule!
Last edit: 19 Oct 2015 13:25 by dom2570.

More
19 Oct 2015 13:25 #695251 by dom2570
Snorkel...

Whip it like a mule!
Attachments:

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
19 Oct 2015 13:35 #695253 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Re:New Member, first project bike.
I don't use them. They're for sound deadening. Runs better without it.
Steve