Possible new KZ1000 LTD owner

More
30 Sep 2015 12:39 - 30 Sep 2015 12:41 #692652 by Chaz66
Possible new KZ1000 LTD owner was created by Chaz66
Dear All

I've loved the idea of a 1000 LTD since they first came out. I'm now nearly 49 years old and own a Honda Blackbird, which I love. However as bits of me have been abused over the years I've recently been looking for something more upright and, to be honest, not so likely to lose me my licence every time I go out for a ride!

I've been toying with the idea of something more relaxed, both in power and riding position for a while now. I spotted a 750 Spectre here in the UK which got me thinking about LTD's and how much I wanted one all those years ago. Well, fate took a hand today when talking to a mate of mine. I showed him a pic of the Spectre and he says "Jason has got one like that he's selling, but it's the bigger, chain driven 1000cc". So this evening I went to take a look at it.

It's a black 1981 KZ1000 LTD. Imported into the UK in 1992 and pretty much standard as far as I can see? Though one or more of you may disagree, you’ll know better than I will. He has all the MOT docs from 1992 (yearly UK inspection certificates) which confirm the recorded mileage as 6665 miles. I'll repeat, 6665 miles... Looking at the bike I can well believe it too. Frame under the seat is immaculate, seat base the same, original pipes in great condition. Engine casings excellent, chrome all over is pretty much clean as clean can be. The only thing I can see has been changes is a braided hose for the front brakes and 2 x Hagon shocks at the rear. The tank has 2 small minor chips in it and the front mudguard has a half inch indentation in it about a millimetre wide and the chrome isn't broken. Also the Kawasaki badge on the forks has a small crack in it.

I didn't have time to ride it tonight but will be taking her for a spin this Saturday to see if my dream bike from all those years ago is a nice as I think she might be. I know it's not going to handle like a B'Bird or anything like any modern bike but it's about the feel of it as much as anything.

I know "the usual" things to look out for when inspecting a bike. My request to any of you here with a minute to offer some advice is is there anything in particular I should look out for with this model or with KZ’s in general? Any of you guys out there that own one of these have any comments on how they handle? Any quirks? Anything I should know I'll be letting myself in for if I do get her?

Also to UK riders, I do something which many of us don't,,,, I ride all year round and (shock horror) sometimes in the rain too. I don't do huge miles any more, but how does the chrome and ally stand up to things over here? Pretty sure I know the answer already, as in not well at all, but would appreciate your thoughts.

I'm really hoping that I fall in love with her when I take her out. However I'm going to try and go in there with a critical eye and do my best not to get too starry eyed about it. Any advice and words of wisdom from any of you would be very much appreciated. I'm attaching some pics so you can have a quick look too.

My thanks to you all in advance

Chaz

Bike lover & Bass player who believes that all the best people are a little crazy!
Attachments:
Last edit: 30 Sep 2015 12:41 by Chaz66. Reason: spelling

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Sep 2015 13:04 #692656 by peter1958
Replied by peter1958 on topic Possible new KZ1000 LTD owner
Nice bike. the only things I can think of are J motor dropping vale guides and possible vibration.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chaz66

More
30 Sep 2015 13:12 #692658 by Chaz66
Replied by Chaz66 on topic Possible new KZ1000 LTD owner
Thanks Peter. Not having seen any docs for this yet I was wondering which motor it had. Now I know it's a "J", which from what I've read on here and other sites might be a good thing?

Bike lover & Bass player who believes that all the best people are a little crazy!

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
30 Sep 2015 13:34 #692661 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Possible new KZ1000 LTD owner
It's a shaft so it won't be as quick as the chain driven ones. As for the valve guides, it might be a good idea to remove the head and do a inspection while installing Viton valve guide seals. 30 years old, they start to leak. If a guide appears to have moved, install bronze guides and freshen up the head. I bought my Z1 in 75 and never thought about parting with it. :whistle:
Steve

Attachments:

More
30 Sep 2015 13:39 - 30 Sep 2015 13:45 #692662 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Possible new KZ1000 LTD owner
That seems like a really good find. As you have discovered, 1981was the first year for the new "J" engine that stayed in production until 2005. Even with some abuse and neglect, it is basically bullet proof. Of course it is a good idea to look it over carefully for the usual old bike problems, including any dodgy looking repairs.
As mentioned above, about the only unique problems you are likely to encounter with so few miles are weepy valve guide seals and a n unusual engine vibration. The seals get brittle over time, and some of the "J" engines had loose valve guides that can also leak a bit. A bit of smoke from the exhaust pipes or oil-fouled spark plugs are the usual indicators.
An unusual vibration can be evidence of a more serious problem. Some of the early engines suffered from a twisted crankshaft, most often the result of serious flogging. It was not a widespread problem, but it happened often enough to be aware of.
I hope it turns out to be fabulous. If so, we fully expect to see a bunch of pictures.

If you do buy it, I suggest the next two purchases be a genuine Kawasaki factory service manual and some JIS screwdrivers. I have a pdf version of the manual that i can send via Dropbox, and i believe there is at least one copy on the internet someplace. No matter what the sellers tells you, you should perform ALL the required maintenance, always assuming that none of it has ever been done.

P.S. I don't live in the UK, but I do live quite close to the Gulf of Mexico, and the only ways I know to keep the shiny bits looking good, are to keep them as clean as you can. Apply wax to the chrome and use a suitable aluminum polish for the polished parts.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
Last edit: 30 Sep 2015 13:45 by TexasKZ.

More
30 Sep 2015 13:44 #692664 by Chaz66
Thanks Steve, though it's a chain drive bike so maybe I've got the model number wrong. Guess I'll find out more on Saturday.

More
30 Sep 2015 13:47 #692665 by Chaz66

TexasKZ wrote: An unusual vibration can be evidence of a more serious problem. I have a pdf version of the manual that i can send via Dropbox, and i believe there is at least one copy on the internet someplace. No matter what the sellers tells you, you should perform ALL the required maintenance, always assuming that none of it has ever been done.

Thanks Texas, vibration is something I'll be keeping an eye out for. If she's as nice as I hope she is I'll be taking you up on your kind offer of teh PDF file and yes, I'll go through everything as if it's never been done :)

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
30 Sep 2015 14:14 #692667 by SWest

More
30 Sep 2015 16:24 #692693 by pete greek1
Replied by pete greek1 on topic Possible new KZ1000 LTD owner

TexasKZ wrote: That seems like a really good find. As you have discovered, 1981was the first year for the new "J" engine that stayed in production until 2005. Even with some abuse and neglect, it is basically bullet proof. Of course it is a good idea to look it over carefully for the usual old bike problems, including any dodgy looking repairs.
As mentioned above, about the only unique problems you are likely to encounter with so few miles are weepy valve guide seals and a n unusual engine vibration. The seals get brittle over time, and some of the "J" engines had loose valve guides that can also leak a bit. A bit of smoke from the exhaust pipes or oil-fouled spark plugs are the usual indicators.
An unusual vibration can be evidence of a more serious problem. Some of the early engines suffered from a twisted crankshaft, most often the result of serious flogging. It was not a widespread problem, but it happened often enough to be aware of.
I hope it turns out to be fabulous. If so, we fully expect to see a bunch of pictures.

If you do buy it, I suggest the next two purchases be a genuine Kawasaki factory service manual and some JIS screwdrivers. I have a pdf version of the manual that i can send via Dropbox, and i believe there is at least one copy on the internet someplace. No matter what the sellers tells you, you should perform ALL the required maintenance, always assuming that none of it has ever been done.

P.S. I don't live in the UK, but I do live quite close to the Gulf of Mexico, and the only ways I know to keep the shiny bits looking good, are to keep them as clean as you can. Apply wax to the chrome and use a suitable aluminum polish for the polished parts.

B) B) B)

1980 LTD 1000..,1976 LTD 900, have the 1000&900 now. the rest are previous= 1978 KZ 650 B.., 1980 Yamaha XT 500..,1978 Yamaha DT 400.., 1977 Yamaha yz 80..,Honda trail ct 70.., Honda QA 50...5-1/2 hp brigs & straton CAT chopper mini bike...3-1/2 hp mini bike (WHEN GAS WAS ABOUT 45 CENTS A GALLON)!!!!

More
30 Sep 2015 23:03 #692730 by Kwaker2000
Replied by Kwaker2000 on topic Possible new KZ1000 LTD owner
hi i also live in uk if you want her to stay shiny dont use in winter the chrome will not last also get rid of the smog stuff ,the pipes coming from top of cylinder head ape make some nice block off plates for them ,i have them on mine also plug all the carb vac ports off leaving only the petcock vac on and the hole in air box ,there great machines i love mine ,i have the csr1000 yours looks great ,

:)
Attachments:

More
01 Oct 2015 04:53 #692759 by Chaz66

Kwaker2000 wrote: hi i also live in uk if you want her to stay shiny dont use in winter the chrome will not last also get rid of the smog stuff ,the pipes coming from top of cylinder head ape make some nice block off plates for them ,i have them on mine also plug all the carb vac ports off leaving only the petcock vac on and the hole in air box ,there great machines i love mine ,i have the csr1000 yours looks great ,

Thanks for the input mate, appreciated. No idea yet if those mods has been done or not, though I suspect they haven't. Something I'll have to look into if I do take her home with me.

Itching to get my mitts on her to finally know one way or the other if a) she's as good as she looks and runs ok and b) if I like the riding position, engine and whole feel of her enough to let go of my Blackbird for her. My head is saying the Bird is also bullet proof, everything is sorted on her that needs doing and is reliability incarnate. My heart and my lower back are going for the LTD, but it's 35 years old and may well need valves, rubber mounts, contacts and all sorts of other things doing to it. Plus parts could be an issue with some things here in the UK. If she's a good one my heart will almost certainly win, but I'm going into this with my eyes wide open.
(Repeats to himself several times over, eyes open, eyes open, throttle open,,, no dammit, eyes, bloody EYES!)

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
01 Oct 2015 05:10 #692767 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Possible new KZ1000 LTD owner
I'd keep the other one as a spare. That way you can work on this one at your own pace and not rush it. I've had to cut corners and do it piece meal. Cost's more in the long run and having to redial in the carbs each time has been a PITA.
I helped a family member buy a 450 Honda in the 70's. I put my finger in the exhaust to see if there was any oil in there. " MY GOD HE EVEN PUTS HIS FINGER IN IT'S ASSHOLE!" :woohoo:
He bought and rode it for years. :whistle:
Steve