Finally registered

More
23 May 2015 08:40 - 23 May 2015 08:41 #673309 by jakedude
Replied by jakedude on topic Finally registered
[/quote]The PO of you bike stated it was from Denver PD, are you in Colorado? I live East of Colorado Springs, Denver is about 1.5 hours from me depending on which way I take. I might have to stick which the footboards for now though, as I am sending the bike off on Tuesday for the powder coating and won't have time to get replacement parts before then. :([/quote]

I live in the Spokane WA - Coeur d'Alene ID area.

Taking off the boards, at least on my bike required cutting off the board mounts. Earlier models these mounts were bolted on the frames. I have seen other posts on this forum where people have cut off these mounts and then ground the remaining posts down to the frame tubes as if they were never there. If you want to eventually remove the boards you may want to do that before you powder coat. I'm sure your powder coat company will reschedule. If you go that route I would wait until you have the full bike assembled before you figure out the pegs. Like I said, I mocked mine up in wood before I committed to metal.

Having said that I'm one of those guys that doesn't worry much about how his bike looks. My philosophy is to focus on operation and comfort. I feel that If a bike looks good from 10 ft it looks good enough. I also think honest wear looks good. When I cut my boards off I just left about 1.5 inches of the board mount tubes remaining on the bike. I used the remaining front board mount tubes to attach highway pegs. The back tubes are there and serving no purpose. I just painted them with spray paint.

So if you don't mind if the board mount tube nubs remain welded to your bike go ahead a powder coat and figure out the conversion to post until later.

Good luck and have fun with your restoration/conversion.

Nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect.
Last edit: 23 May 2015 08:41 by jakedude.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.