New member with a GPZ 1100 1985

More
29 Apr 2015 11:35 #669977 by Dan.B
New member with a GPZ 1100 1985 was created by Dan.B
Hello!

Dan from Sweden here.

During winter I am riding a modified Honda Dominator with studs, for long journeys a BMW R 1200 GS and recently a Kawasaki.

Been watching this forum for awhile now. Actually since I bought a GPZ 1100 1985 last autum. The bike was a no runner and had been involved in a crash.

During the winter I have been changing bits on the bike and now finally had the bike through the vehicle inspection and been able to ride the bike around.

Though its an old bike I find it still potent and fun to ride.

This has been done on the bike through the winter:
- new fuel pump (for SAAB 900).
- adjustable fuel regulator.
- new tires
- new brake pads
- new turn signals (led) and tailight (led).
- motogadget tiny m-flash turnsignal.
- new wheel bearings.
- new bearings in the swingarm and uni-trak links.
- stiffer rod push tensioner.
- new gas and clutch wires
- brazing the clutchside cap.
- 530 sprocket and chain conversion.
- K&N filters.
- new fork seals.
- Speed bleeders.
- garage painting in matte black.
-
And lots more.

I am looking forward to get a little better riding position with some lower foot pegs and a small rise of the clip ons. Anyone got some tips here?

I am still wrestling with som stratifierande idle going up and down and some sneezing/backfirning occasionally through the filters, but for now I just want to ride the bike.

I would like to make it even a better bike. What do you think would be the next thing to look into?

Best regards/Dan
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Apr 2015 06:10 #670086 by riturbo
Replied by riturbo on topic New member with a GPZ 1100 1985
Welcome

I never seen anyone running pod filters on the fuel injection . Isn't there an air temp sensor that goes into the air box. What fuel presure are you runnning ? Check the boots where the injectors mount to the engine. they are famous for leaks . That or the pods could be the cause of the running isues. I would put the stock air box back on if you have one . It might be your running isues.

The U.S. models gpz 750 have different risors that sit you up higher . Should bolt right on. I have a set of 1100 risors on one of my turbos to get the bars lower .

Gpz 750 turbo The one I ride
Gpz 750 turbo Not finished
Gpz 750 turbo Not started
Gpz 550 1981
Gpz 550 1983
Bunch of other junk

More
30 Apr 2015 09:39 #670122 by Dan.B
Replied by Dan.B on topic Re:New member with a GPZ 1100 1985
Thank you for answering!

Yes, there is air temp sensor that used to sit in stock air box, now its striped with the wire loom above the intakes.

I took a long way back home from work today and stopped sometimes to adjust the fuel pressure. By slightly lowering the pressure I got rid of the erratic idle and the sneezing through the filters.

The pressure gauge was 2.3 psi as the manual says, before I lowered it, and after the adjusting that got rid of the erratic idle and sneezing the pressure is 2.1. The engine also rund smoother.

Looking at the spark plugs, the "a/f ratio" is ok, but I have read somewhere that the best pressure with this bike and pods is 2.6! Its a new pressure gauge but I might calibrate/compare it with a knows source.

I really appreciates your tip on 750 gpz risors. Will start looking for them on ebay.

/Dan

More
30 Apr 2015 15:27 #670164 by riturbo
Replied by riturbo on topic New member with a GPZ 1100 1985
Glad to here its running better. My friend had one brand new . Its a great bike,

Gpz 750 turbo The one I ride
Gpz 750 turbo Not finished
Gpz 750 turbo Not started
Gpz 550 1981
Gpz 550 1983
Bunch of other junk