• kawural
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • never touch a running system
More
31 Mar 2015 03:56 #665899 by kawural
Greetings from Germany was created by kawural
Hi there,

GT 750 driver from Bavaria, Germany just registered.
After some KAWAs, Suzi, Yamaha I purchased myself a GT 750 from 1987 in total original status. Bike being overhauled currently which will probabaly take another couple of weeks.

This is my second GT. First one I also completely revamped but resold afterwards which I started to regret only a week after. I must have a bad day when selling it :dry:
These old Z models have their own charm, you know, you cant get rid of once you had one.

Beside the GT I ride a Moto Guzzi V7 Classic from 2011.
Good looking; light and nice to ride but a different animal.
Looks classic but full of electronic crap like fuel injection and ECU, One cant even adjust idle without laptop and
software for a lot of $$$. Crazy.
So I badly needed again an iron pig from the time when I was young, like the GT, that I can understand and repair myself merely with a pair of good wrenches and screwdrivers.

Will post an image when the GT makes it to the street again!

save riding!

Cheers Jorg

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Mar 2015 05:36 #665902 by runmikeyrun
Replied by runmikeyrun on topic Greetings from Germany
Tag Jorg, Wilkommen! Wie gehts?

Mein Deutsch ist nicht sehr gut, english Bitte ;) lol

I agree with you on wrenching vs. remapping. I can't really say it takes the "fun" out of it, because to me it seems like cheating to replace pipes and air cleaner and all that's needed is a simple remap. However, as I get older (and lazier) I find it somewhat appealing to not spend a week pulling and reinstalling carbs and fiddling with jets and settings lol.

I have an 81 KZ750 and I am looking at picking up a Harley forty eight. Reason being is the girl and I want to do longer rides and trips (she rides a Softail Slim) The KZ will have to go, which is a damn shame because I also have the instant regret when selling things. I traded an older RD for the KZ, and having restored the RD and owning it for about 12 years it was a bittersweet moment. I know I will miss the KZ but I can't keep them all.

However, her son and I are building a 68 CB350 this year so at least I will have one vintage machine to tinker with. I need to keep my hands working lol.

I love to see before and after pics of people's bikes... post if you can!

Mike

Monkey? MONKEY? I'm a GORILLA you CLOWN!

More
31 Mar 2015 06:02 #665908 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic Greetings from Germany
welcome.

leon

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

More
31 Mar 2015 07:51 #665911 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic Greetings from Germany
Wilkommen Jorg! I have heard good things about the GT model...it was never offered ion this side of the Atlantic but has many similarities to other 750 models.

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

• kawural
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • never touch a running system
More
31 Mar 2015 10:34 #665925 by kawural
Replied by kawural on topic Greetings from Germany
Hi Mike,

cant agree more: while wrenching is for hobby (that's what I have my classic Kawa for), modern Moto Guzzi with ECU that I drive, too, is for day to day riding. On this bike I leave it to the dealer to remap and do all these fancy things ot the injection :laugh:

GT is in an unbelievable good original shape although 70.000 kilometer on it. Bought it from a pensioner who drove it for ages and carefully maintained it over the years.

That said, I will overhaul tyres, brakes, carburetor, value timing, air filter, stiff rubber tubes/covers, all the standard things to begin with before I take it on the street and check on how the engine goes.
One thing that I realized will require attention is, guess what, the starter clutch which starts to wear :ohmy:
But this is work for coming fall or winter...

Have taken two days off from tomorrow on to tinker and will post some status quo pictures.

Cheers Jorg