Noob here.

More
28 Mar 2015 08:26 #665505 by Stegbuchner
Noob here. was created by Stegbuchner
Just wanted to introduce myself. Today I went out and bought a KZ550LTD F2. Looking forward to riding this summer. Of course the bike has issues but nothing that a good carb cleaning won't fix. I was rather surprised that the bike had air shocks. I bought it primarily to zip around New England. Are there any known issues. It doesn't have the stock speedometer It does have the orig. tires though. The odometer says 16k miles but I think that there is some what less than that.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Mar 2015 08:50 #665507 by jeffasaki
Replied by jeffasaki on topic Noob here.
the last

78 Z1R
78 KZ1000
76 KH500 gone
71 HS1B 90
81 GS 1100 gone
80 PE400
02 KLR

Ontario Canada

More
28 Mar 2015 09:17 #665513 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Noob here.
Welcome aboard! A well-sorted and maintained 550 is a fun and reliable ride. I suggest two things right away.
Get a genuine Kawasaki service manual. It is the best tool you can buy and it will repay its price many times over.
Replace those tires! On modern tires, there is a date code. The rubber in a tire deteriorates even when the bike is in the garage. Thirty year old tires will be dangerous. Even a five or six year old tire can be bad, depending on how it has been treated.
Ok, three things. Once you get the service manual, systematically go through all the routine maintenance items. Do not assume that the previous owners did any of it, even if they said it was done.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

More
28 Mar 2015 09:23 #665515 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Noob here.
P. S. Do you mean air shocks or air forks? I know that the larger LTDs came with air adjustable forks, but air shocks would probably have been added by a previous owner. If it is forks and you decide to jack with the pressure, be very, very careful. They are low pressure devices and a gas station hose can quickly do damage. A small hand pump is best.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

More
28 Mar 2015 11:36 #665541 by Stegbuchner
Replied by Stegbuchner on topic Noob here.
I have done this sort of thing before, though not with Kawasaki's. I restored a KZ440Ltd which impressed me with its uncanny smoothness. That was a frame up. I have also done a few vintage Honda's. I am tired of putting time, money and energy into a nice vintage bike only to see the new owner make it into a bobber (the old fad) or a cafe racer (the flavor of the month). I don't have anything against these forms of expression if they are well done. 1 out of maybe 100 is well done, the rest are just hack jobs. I saw this happen to my pristine 1974 CB550K and the KZ440. The KZ550 is all there, bone stock without a rotted out exhaust, low mileage and did come from the factory with air shocks and forks and gators on the forks. It is perfect. I always follow a checklist when I get a new to me bike and this one won't be an exception.