New to forum

More
07 Jul 2014 15:24 #639185 by jakeZN
New to forum was created by jakeZN
hey all just joined !
my dad was finally after 13 years of begging willing to hand down my grandfathers old KZ2000 (78) and i was happy to take it off his hand the poor thing sat in garages and out side under a tarp for the las t 30 something years and seeing as the bike only has 396 miles on it im hoping i can get her up and running as a to and from work scoot im really excited to get this thing rolling

- Jake
78 KZ200
golden colorado

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jul 2014 16:56 #639194 by kaw-a-holic
Replied by kaw-a-holic on topic New to forum
Welcome to the forum! I hope with that low of milage that you plan on restoring it? Please don't cut it up. These bike are getting hard to find especially with low milage.
So pics would be nice. And I strongly suggest a service manual.

Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

More
07 Jul 2014 18:55 #639210 by KZJOE900
Replied by KZJOE900 on topic New to forum
Before you even try turning the engine in any way, squirt some Kroil or Marvel mystery oil in each cylinder and let it soak the rings for a few days. After this time you can try to see if it will turn with less risk and effort. At this point if the engine is free, you can always try to see if it will start by putting a new battery and spraying some starting fluid in the bore of each carburetor. Good luck.

Current project 76 KZ900 (This was a Vetter model)
76 KZ900
81 XJ550H SECA (Current Project)
82 XJ550R SECA
Past:
86 FJ1200
74 Z1900
72 CB450

More
07 Jul 2014 19:58 #639217 by Tomolu5
Replied by Tomolu5 on topic New to forum
I concur with what kaw a Holocaust said...that bike is worth more the way it sits than if you chop it up. I'm all for doing modifications to the bike, but I never do anything that isn't easily reverted to stock. If you are looking to go Bobber, or cafe, or another route, I'm sure you could find somebody that would swap a runner for a virgin like that!

Lecture over

+1 on fogging cylinders, more than once before turning it over.

Also change the oil and filter before running it.

I would also clean the fuel system including the carbs(meticulously) before trying to get it running on its own.

Mine:
04 Honda rebel 250(wifes)
04 GSXR 750(bolt on galore)
98 CBR 600F3(filter, pipe, adjustable cam sprokets, dyno tune)
76 KZ900A (LTD gauge pods, crash bars, LTD(style)pipes, dyna coils and ignition,headwork and mild port cleanup by cavanaugh racing, K&N filter pods, heck I dunno.

More
08 Jul 2014 19:46 #639371 by jakeZN
Replied by jakeZN on topic New to forum
no way im chopping this bike up was one of the last things my grandfather bought before he died and the only thing of him i own.... i have cleaned the fuel system out including the carb, tank and hoses. the battery is dead so i have no idea about the electrical yet and wont know untill i get payed next week . i can get it started every time but cant get it to hold idle to save my life. i do know its running rich from the soot on the plug and i did go and download the shop manual. wont have too much time to work on it untill saturday and i will try and get some pics up

- Jake
78 KZ200
golden colorado