Hello from Wisconsin

• Phredryxun96
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
18 Jun 2014 19:12 #637127 by Phredryxun96
Hello from Wisconsin was created by Phredryxun96
Hi everyone, just recently I bought my first bike, a 1980 KZ750 4 cylinder. Since this is my first motorcycle I know little to nothing about them, and I plan on taking the course and getting my license in the near future, until then I just plan on working on my bike as a project.

Seeing as I only paid $600 the bike definitely needs some work. There are many minor things, the more I work on it the more I seem to find, Right now my main concerns is the starter switch and the speedo and tach. The starter switch is broken as well as the speedo and tach were smashed. I will probably just go for an aftermarket starter switch.
For the speedo and tach I called the salvage yard up and they said the cluster would be $75, which I think is a little bit steep. I would like to go aftermarket for both but I have no idea what I am looking for especially since I am on a budget. Any help would be appreciated.
-Thanks

1980 Kz750 Project
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• the_Were-Rabbit
  • User
  • Stays crunchy. Even in milk.
More
28 Jun 2014 02:36 #638239 by the_Were-Rabbit
Replied by the_Were-Rabbit on topic Hello from Wisconsin
Hey Phredryxun96,

As far as the aftermarket speedo/tach, I'd defer and buy salvage. Getting
aftermarket components isn't bad, but if you're wanting to get the bike going,
stock parts are always a safe bet. Aftermarkets can come later when you've
had some time wrenching on the bike. By then, you might have some better ideas
for the bike, or decide to sell it. Either way, you'll have a working bike.

Think about getting a copy of the factory manual. It's a lifesaver. Worth every
penny. Take your time, and do things right the first time. You'll never regret it.
My first bike in thirty years, a 1983 KZ1100 A-3, is coming along nicely. Most of
the time, these great bikes need maintenance that has been neglected for many
years to get them up to running spec. Keep us posted on your progress.

Best regards!

the Were-Rabbit

My Kaw? Daily ride! "Voodoo Red"- a 1983 KZ1100 A-3 shaft model, full Vetter fairing, hard bags and tail trunk, A vintage cruiser/touring for a vintage guy...

• Phredryxun96
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
28 Jun 2014 19:23 #638323 by Phredryxun96
Replied by Phredryxun96 on topic Hello from Wisconsin
Well I stopped by the salvage yard to check out the cluster, it was almost in as bad of shape as mine was plus there was something rattling inside. I also ordered the factory service manual for my bike as well. Got new turn signals and new starter/kill switch in.
Since I have my bike pretty well torn down cosmetically (gas tank, seat, side covers, etc.) at the moment, is there anything I should do while I am at it?

1980 Kz750 Project

More
30 Jun 2014 20:43 #638535 by Wosmo
Replied by Wosmo on topic Hello from Wisconsin
IMHO... Any time you pick up a 'new to you' bike assume the PO never did anything to it. Clean the carbs, change the oil and filter, and drain flush and bleed the brake system (clutch too if it's hydraulic)... And, someone else chime in here if I'm way off, the valves may need adjustment as well?

Building a happy home, one bike at a time...