The new guy from Washington.

More
15 Jun 2014 02:35 #636691 by alexv860
The new guy from Washington. was created by alexv860
Greetings!

I just picked up an 81 kz550. The guy i got it from had already started work to make a chopper out of it, so it came with a nice set of Z bars, a rear fender blank, and a few other misc parts. He also started building a custom wiring harness with all the BS removed. First I plan to finish what he started with that, and then maybe paint and a few other quick upgrades before i get it back on the road. Here in Washington we have a pretty short riding season, and once its over, you get to stare at your bike for 9 months. During that time I'd like to customize and/or upgrade everything I can. I have been building hot rods since I was in high school, but I'm new to motorcycle performance work, so any tips or upgrade suggestions would be extremely appreciated.

1983 kz550 Spectre F1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Jun 2014 06:38 #636706 by ed spangler
Replied by ed spangler on topic The new guy from Washington.

alexv860 wrote: Greetings!

I just picked up an 81 kz550. The guy i got it from had already started work to make a chopper out of it, so it came with a nice set of Z bars, a rear fender blank, and a few other misc parts. He also started building a custom wiring harness with all the BS removed. First I plan to finish what he started with that, and then maybe paint and a few other quick upgrades before i get it back on the road. Here in Washington we have a pretty short riding season, and once its over, you get to stare at your bike for 9 months. During that time I'd like to customize and/or upgrade everything I can. I have been building hot rods since I was in high school, but I'm new to motorcycle performance work, so any tips or upgrade suggestions would be extremely appreciated.

Welcome from East Tennessee!!
Awesome sounding project!!
Looking forward to pics and progress reports!!
Regards
Ed

Have 1975 Kawasaki Z1-B & 2003 Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic
Had Hondas, Harleys and many ,many Z Series Kaws both Std. & LTD's

More
23 Jun 2014 21:52 #637787 by alexv860
Replied by alexv860 on topic The new guy from Washington.
Oh, forgot to mention that it's a shaft drive, I'm not sure if that makes a difference when I want to make it a hard tail, or if it's possible to swap to chain, or if it would be worthwhile.

1983 kz550 Spectre F1

More
17 Oct 2014 15:27 #650960 by mountaintrout
Replied by mountaintrout on topic The new guy from Washington.
i would stay with the shaft myself. they are wonderful

LIVE IT..LOVE IT....EASY

More
17 Oct 2014 19:23 #650984 by 60ratrod
Replied by 60ratrod on topic The new guy from Washington.
Welcome fellow washingtoinain! I'm in your neck of the woods. And +1 on the shaft drive. If you need help, just holler

Active Duty US Navy Aviation Ordnanceman Petty Officer First Class

81 kz1000m1 csr "Sarge"

81 Suzuki gs650g "Shelah"

More
19 Oct 2014 11:06 #651133 by !Seymore
Replied by !Seymore on topic The new guy from Washington.
Welcome Alex... Yea, I'll concur with the others, keep the shaft. No maintenance, unlike a chain... and very difficult to swap to a chain.

C.
79' KZ650-D2 [fsm] (Max)
83' KZ750-F1 LTD [clymers] (Kay)
82' KZ1100-D1 Specter (another project)
78' KZ650-B2a (J&H, A Project)
91' KZ1000-P (P = parts)