There is no such thing as a free motorcycle...

More
14 May 2014 18:28 #632489 by Bbbent
But this one is damned close, so far.

My buddy texted me three weeks ago that it was Christmas in April, could I bring a truck? Well, my dad has a truck! But we were in the middle of a full scale software update at work AND a bathroom remodel. The timing could not have been worse.

So we hop in the truck and drive down to Kenosha and grab this beast. '83 GPz 550, with a title. Been sitting in this girl's garage and she finally realized that that dream of fixing up an old motorcycle and zooming around wearing a cool leather jacket isn't as easy as it seems in your head.

So, now it's at my house. Once we got it on the charger everything works, and it runs on spray really nicely. Carbs were pissing gas all over. Got them out. The girl said "The carbs are clean". Well she didn't mean to lie. Maybe she meant "they were clean. Once. In 1983".

So carbs are for sure clean now (I have more experience in this area than I would prefer).. but I need 4 float bowl gaskets. The old ones don't fit anymore. It's a little ridiculous what places charge for one gasket. Looking for a source if anybody has one.

So that's where we're at. Yet another of the 'bikes I've always wanted' crossed off the list. But also yet another bike that's taking me away from my RD and Triumph projects. But, it was FREE! And it seems to run, so far so good..

There is possibly some gearbox issue. At least that's what I was told by the friend of the PO. But we'll see once it runs. Sometimes those stories aren't true. In fact, they're often not true. Will need the thing to idle and run out long enough to get it out of the garage to find out.

pic:

It's funny. I haven't had a Kawi since 1986, when I bought my first "new" bike in Elmira NY. 600r. I loved that thing. Promptly stolen the 2nd night I lived in California.

And now, in a very short period of time I got this GPz and my wife got a super awesome KLR. Looks like we're going green for awhile.

Bbbent

Dominion Over Machines
Watertown WI

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 May 2014 18:50 #632495 by Flyndrive
Replied by Flyndrive on topic There is no such thing as a free motorcycle...
For float bowl gaskets just go buy gasket material and make your own. That's what I did, it works great.

1980 KZ 550A1
1985 GPZ 900R

More
14 May 2014 19:14 #632502 by 650ed

Flyndrive wrote: For float bowl gaskets just go buy gasket material and make your own. That's what I did, it works great.

Unfortunately, if he has the stock GPZ550 carbs that's not an option for him. Unlike your KZ550 and my KZ650, the GPZ550 carbs are the CV type that use an o-ring rather than a gasket. Ed

Attachment 00005_2014-05-14-3.jpg not found

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:

More
14 May 2014 19:21 #632503 by Flyndrive
Replied by Flyndrive on topic There is no such thing as a free motorcycle...
If the o rings are still there you can make a gasket to go on top. I did this to my GPZ900. Stopped the gas from spilling out of the bowls.

1980 KZ 550A1
1985 GPZ 900R

More
15 May 2014 02:50 #632524 by Patton
Set of four (part no. 92055-1128) for $21.13 at Z1E --

www.z1enterprises.com/ItemDetails.aspx?i...ZX550&item=KL18-4770

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
15 May 2014 05:41 #632534 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic There is no such thing as a free motorcycle...
The gearbox issue could be as simple as a clutch adjustment. Some riders never do it & some do it wrong - easy to do if the manual is ambiguous --- at least one of them is for the 550.

During the clutch adjust procedure, turn the clutch release adj screw counterclockwise until hard to turn, then clockwise 1/4 to 1/2 turn.... it's kind of counterintuitive.
(Unless the manual specifically states otherwise... my dislclaimer. hee).

More
15 May 2014 10:08 #632555 by Bbbent
thanks all..

Patton you nailed that link. I was seeing lots of offers for single gaskets at $11 apiece. Had done a quick look on Z1 before and missed that one. I'll be ordering that tomorrow (that said, I am very capable of making my own that would still work in that particular space.. just don't want to put that much effort into it!)

And yes, they're original TK (22's I think?)

I for sure will be doing clutch adjustment and other general cleanup (wheel bearings, steering head bearings, etc) once I get the thing running and can get a better baseline. Spring came very late in WI this year after that brutal damned winter, so there are a lot of things to be getting done around the house. So all these things happen in a slow steady sequence.

Basic carb baseline is next. the bike came with no pods or airbox, a 4into1 and a Yosh RS3 that was on backward and inside out. I have two leftover K&N's that will fit from my wife's Hawk GT (sadly for sale!) so I'll get two more K&N's, put all the details in my carb tuning spreadsheet and tweak from there to get it halfway decent for that pipe and pods. I'm confident that I'll get it to run right (been there with CV's before...) but I'm certain it'll take a couple tries and multiple carb pulls.

But thats par for the course, right? :0 Other than the missing airbox it's all there and everything except the turn signals seems to work. The tank has a bit of surface rust that will need a cleanup and respray, but that's not a problem. New tires (though we'll see how old they are... but they haven't been ridden on at all) And there's a title. So far total investment is the gas and dinner for the trip to Kenosha and some time.

Bbbent

Dominion Over Machines
Watertown WI

More
15 May 2014 12:55 - 15 May 2014 13:11 #632564 by loudhvx
That bike should have come with TK26 CV carbs. The TK22's are mechanical slide carbs and come on the earlier style motors.

Good luck on the tuning. Dynojet does have a kit for the TK26, if still available.

For reference, the TK27's from the 84/85 ZX550A (gpz550) will also fit.

There are several different manuals for that bike in my signature. Some have the clutch adjustment procedure vague, or wrong, due to the clutch adjuster mechanism being changed early on in the Kz550 run. I have a link in my signature for that as well.
Last edit: 15 May 2014 13:11 by loudhvx.

More
15 May 2014 19:19 #632606 by Bbbent
Thanks loud. They are 26' just couldn't remember while at work. Already got a few things from your sig. Just need some extra free time!

Bbbent

Dominion Over Machines
Watertown WI

More
23 May 2014 06:16 #633616 by Bbbent
Alright, float bowl seals obtained and installed. New drain plug orings. Everything super clean of course. I even blasted and repainted the bowls and repainted the tops (I'm generally trying to change my wicked ways and NOT take everything apart. The goal on this bike is as minimal effort as possible).

I'm taking memorial day weekend Friday afternoon off, and I expect to have those carbs back in the bike today.

Pretty exciting! Will post video...

Bbbent

Dominion Over Machines
Watertown WI

More
23 May 2014 14:15 #633681 by Bbbent
As promised..

Clutch work next...

Bbbent

Dominion Over Machines
Watertown WI

• ThatGPzGuy
  • Sustaining Member
  • More Sparky than Speed Racer
More
23 May 2014 18:21 #633706 by ThatGPzGuy
Replied by ThatGPzGuy on topic There is no such thing as a free motorcycle...
Sounds great! Those little GPz are great bikes. I had an '82 in college and rode that thing all over California.

Jim
North GA
2016 Yamaha FJR1300ES
1982 GPz750 R1
1974 Kawasaki H1
1976 Kawasaki KZ400
1979 Yamaha XS650 cafe'
2001 KZ1000P
2001 Yamaha YZ426
1981 Honda XR200 stroked in an '89 CR125 chassis
1965 Mustang
1967 Triumph GT6
1976 Bronco
"If you didn't build it, it's not really yours"