HOLA new kz400 owner

• dohcdelsol93
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
13 May 2014 09:29 #632253 by dohcdelsol93
HOLA new kz400 owner was created by dohcdelsol93
last summer i picked up a 76 cb550 and spent about 6 weeks pulling it out of boxes and building a cafe racer

So when my buddy (the second owner of a 77 kz400 with about 8,00 miles, making us the 3rd owners) gave us a good deal on his bike we snatched it up.

It's completely stock, other than the seat cover and some rattle can she's unmolested and in good over all cosmetic shape.

Since the little lady wants a bike of her own we are doing a cafe/scrambler build with this one.

I've got some Shiniko 244 tires 3.00x18 front and 3.50 rear on their way to start the build.

I tore down the motor to reseal her since she had obviously been weeping oil for a while. Upon removing the cylinders i found the #1 cylinder toast and #2 not far behind.

I did some head work, re-ground the exhaust valves, lapped them back in. Bead blasted the outside of the cylinders/head and everything that would unbolt from the lower case and painted it in either black or aluminum high temp paint.

Luckily the cylinders cleared up at STD bore and all the scoring that was in them went away with a hone.

I've got new points installed, new clutch.

Soon i'll be ordering a new exhaust, removing all the stock signals and brake light to replace with smaller/modern LED
New blinker relay to handle relay
remove blinker indicator lamp so blinkers work properly

I'll also be replacing handle bar, some newer shocks and other bits, shortening fenders/what not.

I'll try to add pics asap

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.