Hi all! Michigan 1979 KZ650 C3 here.

More
04 Feb 2014 21:20 #621163 by serfrock
Hi all! Michigan 1979 KZ650 C3 here. was created by serfrock
Hello!

I picked up a 1979 KZ650 C3 as a winter project in November, and I'm finally getting some time to work on it consistently. It's got 26,800 miles on it, a bit of rust here and there, scratches, dings, and (as I'm discovering more and more every day I work on it), a couple of seriously lazy and/or cheap mechanics in its past. Stripped and/or mismatched fasteners, electrical tape in lieu of a new fork dust cover or points gasket, and other fun surprises. But, like adopting an abused pet, I hope to provide my KZ the life it's deserved all along.

This winter, I plan to do some in-depth maintenance and some basic cosmetic work to get it in prime running condition and reasonably good cosmetic shape. The following winter, perhaps a fresh frame powdercoat, a full re-wiring, and some other cosmetic and functional upgrades. Time will tell.

I'm relatively new - been riding for two seasons on a 2003 Ninja 250. I live in Southeast Michigan, in case anyone happens to be around!

Thanks for all your help, both retroactively and in advance - I've already lurked many answers from this forum! You all seem like a great community.

For starters, a quick question: though my carbs appear fairly clean, I'm giving them the Pine Sol treatment and some special attention. I'd sort of like to replace some of the hoses, too. For example, the ones that run between the carbs' float bowls (as seen at the bottom of these carburetors, in an image taken from elsewhere on this excellent forum: kzrider.com/archive/images/public/img-1112882456.jpg ).

Do these hoses need to be any particular material so that they don't degrade from gas/ethanol? Also, if anyone happens to know the ID/OD, that'd be helpful as well.

Cheers,
Robert

1979 KZ650 C3 (in progress)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Feb 2014 05:54 #621186 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Hi all! Michigan 1979 KZ650 C3 here.
Welcome aboard. I recommend using the appropriate size Goodyear fuel line. It is engineered to work with unleaded gasoline, diesel fuel, gasoline blends of ethanol (E-10), E85 and sour gas. E85 is 85% ethanol, so if it can handle that it can handle ethanol laced gasoline. Whatever you decide to use, avoid Gates Barricade. I tried that stuff (and it is not cheap) and when I put it on the fuel nipple the inner lining of the hose rolled up like a baggy sock - pure junk. I had no such issues with the Goodyear SAE 30R7 fuel line. Here's a link that shows the various sizes and part numbers. I got mine from a Applied.com (see 2nd link below). They have locations nationwide. Ed

www.goodyearep.com/ProductsDetail.aspx?id=10526

www.applied.com/

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
05 Feb 2014 09:21 #621205 by serfrock
Replied by serfrock on topic Hi all! Michigan 1979 KZ650 C3 here.
Thanks for the tip, Ed!

1979 KZ650 C3 (in progress)