ROOKIE

More
25 Sep 2013 15:55 #607736 by SAKIMOTO
ROOKIE was created by SAKIMOTO
Hi All,

I got my license to ride in May and just now got my first bike. A 1981 Kawasaki KZ440 LTD.

I was wondering if there was anyone who could give me advice on places to look for handlebars as the ones on there are very close to my chest, would like something a little further back to give me some breathing room. Super excited about riding and looking forward to becoming a regular around here if your allowing it. Thank you!

- SAKIMOTO

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Grumpy Ole Artist
  • User
  • Eschew Obfuscation!
More
25 Sep 2013 16:21 #607741 by Grumpy Ole Artist
Replied by Grumpy Ole Artist on topic ROOKIE
Welcome! I would recommend that you take a rider's safety course. Ride like everyone else on the road is out to kill you.It IS great fun though! You might try "competition accessories" for the bars...You may also need to get shorter control cables (Clutch, Brake, throttle x2)to compensate for the lower bars (if the slack created isn't too excessive you may be able to roll with the cables that are on there)...Happy motoring!

1978 KZ650 B2
Former rides...1976 CB360T, 1985 Shadow 700, 1985 GPZ750Turbo

• Forrest
  • Sustaining Member
  • The Mad Duck
More
25 Sep 2013 18:06 #607763 by Forrest
Replied by Forrest on topic ROOKIE
Welcome Sakimoto! I know very little about the KZ440 Ltd. There should be others along shortly to help with your handle bar fitment needs. Grumpy is right about cable lengths when changing your bars. It is getting late in the riding season for some of us. Hope you are in an area that has bike friendly weather year round. Enjoy your new scoot and be safe. Remember, AGAT: All the Gear All the Time! ;)

KZ RIDER RELAY FLAG CARRIER #55
1977 KZ650B Ready & Fit to Roll Anywhere!
1974 F7 175 -first bike and still own, full resto soon!
2002 ZRX1200R -Red the faster color
2011 Concours 14 -Now a Snarling Wolf in Sheep's Clothing!

More
25 Sep 2013 19:05 - 25 Sep 2013 19:05 #607770 by nickleo373
Replied by nickleo373 on topic ROOKIE
Not sure of the size bars you'll need but dime city cycles sells a huge selection of handlebars. Got my cafe bars for my 550 there

1981 KZ550C LTD
"If you ain't first, you're last"
Last edit: 25 Sep 2013 19:05 by nickleo373.

More
26 Sep 2013 12:14 #607867 by SAKIMOTO
Replied by SAKIMOTO on topic ROOKIE
Thanks for the input! Yeah, I took a riders safety course and was certified, however like the instructor said "you got your license in a parking lot...so take it easy when your riding on the road." I've been taking it out a little every day after work, just on the backstreets and parkways. I'm in Minnesota so we've got maybe a month and a half before snow starts to fall, give or take a Month, lol. Anyhow, I'll check out what I can on Dime City Cycles, thanks again!

• Forrest
  • Sustaining Member
  • The Mad Duck
More
26 Sep 2013 15:49 #607901 by Forrest
Replied by Forrest on topic ROOKIE
Whatever bars you go with be sure you test out any once you receive. Test fit to determine if the bar ends or controls will hit you fuel tank on full lock out. No sense in putting dents in that! :pinch:

Enjoy the fine fall weather we have been experiencing here in the Midwest. I will ride to my hometown with the Mrs on my C-14 this weekend. Chance of rain Saturday night and early Sunday a.m. This is not enough to keep me from a 500 mile round trip weekend! :woohoo:

KZ RIDER RELAY FLAG CARRIER #55
1977 KZ650B Ready & Fit to Roll Anywhere!
1974 F7 175 -first bike and still own, full resto soon!
2002 ZRX1200R -Red the faster color
2011 Concours 14 -Now a Snarling Wolf in Sheep's Clothing!