new rider

More
07 Sep 2013 00:00 #605308 by flexvatos
new rider was created by flexvatos
hey guys in a new rider and a new kz owner i just recently got a 83 kz750 twin love the bike especially because it is my first bike it needs some tlc the kick starter leaks a little oil but the old owner said i would need a gasket for it also the start button does not work but i can kick start it i do have a question theres a valve by the gas tank that i do not know what its for if anyone can help to inform me on what it does that would be helpful and im sure im going to have many other questions thanks and look forward from hearing from you guys

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Forrest
  • Sustaining Member
  • The Mad Duck
More
07 Sep 2013 00:07 - 07 Sep 2013 00:10 #605309 by Forrest
Replied by Forrest on topic new rider
Welcome Flex! I do not own this model. Could be a pressure valve for the fuel tank. Your description is a bit vague, specifics please, i.e. valve part of fuel tank or located nearby and connected to what? Others will come along soon enough to help out. Look for Rainman and other KZ750 twin owners to appear. Otherwise, Lurk and PM them with your questions.

Also, pics of your new ride are requested. :whistle:

KZ RIDER RELAY FLAG CARRIER #55
1977 KZ650B Ready & Fit to Roll Anywhere!
1974 F7 175 -first bike and still own, full resto soon!
2002 ZRX1200R -Red the faster color
2011 Concours 14 -Now a Snarling Wolf in Sheep's Clothing!

Last edit: 07 Sep 2013 00:10 by Forrest.

More
07 Sep 2013 00:40 #605317 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic new rider

flexvatos wrote: hey guys in a new rider and a new kz owner i just recently got a 83 kz750 twin love the bike especially because it is my first bike it needs some tlc the kick starter leaks a little oil but the old owner said i would need a gasket for it also the start button does not work but i can kick start it i do have a question theres a valve by the gas tank that i do not know what its for if anyone can help to inform me on what it does that would be helpful and im sure im going to have many other questions thanks and look forward from hearing from you guys

Hello, flexvatos, and WELCOME to KZr! :cheer:

The mentioned valve may be the petcock which controls the flow of gasoline from inside the fuel tank through a fuel hose routed from the petcock to the carburetors.

The petcock has three positions to which it may be adjusted, being ON (the normal position). REServe (the last half gallon inside the tank), and PRIme (allows constant gasoline flow-through).

In addition to the fuel hose, there should be another smaller vacuum hose connected to the petcock.
The vacuum hose runs from a vacuum nipple on a carb or carb holder.
The vacuum is supplied to the petcock when the engine is running.
The petcock uses the vacuum to allow fuel flow through the petcock in ON position and in RES position.

In PRI position, the petcock allows fuel flow regardless of any vacuum being supplied to the petcock.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
08 Sep 2013 01:42 #605480 by flexvatos
Replied by flexvatos on topic new rider
Thanks guys for the reply and thank you patton it was what you were talking about I looked it up and read all about it

• Rainman
  • Sustaining Member
  • and a little Kaw shall lead them
More
08 Sep 2013 03:38 #605492 by Rainman
Replied by Rainman on topic new rider
Welcome flexvatos. The clutch lever needs to be pulled in for the starter button to be active. Prevents a bike in gear from starting and taking off. The kick starter requires the trans to be in neutral and the clutch not engaged.

Good Luck,
Jim

80 KZ750 H1 - the Kaw calf
79 KZ750 Twin - Miss Nov 2008 KZR calander
79 KZ750 Twin parts bike
78 KZ650 C2 Parts Bike
75 KZ400 Wife's old bike sold
81 KZ440 A2 LTD Wife's new bike
84 Honda 450 Rebel Wife's newest bike
Jim
Quincy,IL

More
08 Sep 2013 09:33 #605508 by P21
Replied by P21 on topic new rider
and also might have kick stand safty switch
if down and put in gear while running it shut her off

Kawasaki KZ 1000 Police (2002) P21