New member out of Oklahoma

More
04 Sep 2013 15:04 #604804 by No Peas
New member out of Oklahoma was created by No Peas
Hey guys! My names Noah and I recently purchased what is potentially the ugliest bike this forum has ever seen. My 1976 KZ750. My first bike. She needs a fair amount of work but I love tinkering with things. My goal is to make a really simplistic build that looks nice. Missing most of the stock parts so I'm hoping to build a simplistic brat/cafe style bike. I'm eager to learn about these motorcycles and I hope you guys can help.

Looks like she's got a rattle-canned lime green with baby blue stripe paint job. It's awful. But she runs. Not perfectly, but I've ridden around my apartment parking lot a few times, relatively hard, and it doesn't die or anything. Seems like it's god good compression and is in good shape, just needs to be adjusted a bit.

My main goals right now are to clean up the wiring, build a better seat after I have a hoop welded in where the seats at, as the previous owner cut it, clean up the motor and get rid of the god awful paint job, as well as get it running perfectly.

Anyways, I'm excited to become a part of the community.

76 KZ750
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Sep 2013 17:22 - 04 Sep 2013 17:24 #604823 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic New member out of Oklahoma
Welcome aboard! Your bike is absolutely beautiful mint example compared to some of the messes that some ex-members turned theirs into. And yours runs! Here are 2 examples for your entertainment. The first shows a KZ engine after a member tried to install Suzuki liquid-cooled 4 valve-per-cylinder head and cylinders on it. Not exactly a perfect fit. :laugh:

Attachment 00002_2013-09-04.jpg not found

The second shows a bike that was a really sweet KZ650-C1 that the member bought then decided to make something (I'm not sure what) with a Suzuki engine. That one is sad because the bike was nearly 100% stock (paint and all) before he messed with it. :unsure:

Attachment 00001_2013-09-04-2.jpg not found

Nether project was ever finished (shocking, I know), and neither person has posted here for a long while. I'm sure your bike will be nice when you've had some time to work on it. Just take your time and plan everything out before starting to work on it. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:
Last edit: 04 Sep 2013 17:24 by 650ed.

More
04 Sep 2013 17:28 #604825 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic New member out of Oklahoma
welcome from a fellow okie :lol: .

you have the makings of a fun bike there sir.

leon

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

• guitargeek
  • User
  • Elitist, arrogant, intolerant, self absorbed.
More
04 Sep 2013 20:32 #604846 by guitargeek
Replied by guitargeek on topic New member out of Oklahoma
Hello & howdy! What part of OK you from?

The 750 Twins are great bikes, not especially quick, but they're pretty easy to live with.
I've heard that you can dump the clutch from a dead stop in 5th gear with a fat girl on the back and it'll happily chug away.
Hotrod parts are hard to come by, and valve shims are thin on the ground, too. Make friends with people who own Twins, they know what's what. Steell comes to mind...
It is what it is, one should work to accentuate it's strengths and minimize it's weaknesses.

1980 KZ750-H1 (slightly altered)
1987 KZ1000-P6 "Ponch"
1979 GS1000 "Dadzuki"

More
04 Sep 2013 20:55 #604850 by No Peas
Replied by No Peas on topic New member out of Oklahoma
650ed, haha. Good to know my bike could be considered a gem in comparison to some. Thanks for the laugh.

Thanks, Leon!

guitargeek, I'm from Bartlesville but currently in Stillwater attending OSU.

I understand the twins aren't very quick, but it's definitely a rush to ride for me. I reckon it'll make a nice little commuter when it's all done. My pickup currently gets about 8 miles to the gallon so I figure I'll also save a fair amount of money on gas. At least that's how I'm rationalizing the decision of riding a motorcycle to my parents! I'm hoping to finish this bike, gain some knowledge, and buy something a little quicker when I gain some more riding experience.

Thanks for the warm welcome y'all!

76 KZ750

More
04 Sep 2013 21:27 #604856 by ed spangler
Replied by ed spangler on topic New member out of Oklahoma
Welcome from Sunny East Tennessee!!
tennesseeZ ED

Have 1975 Kawasaki Z1-B & 2003 Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic
Had Hondas, Harleys and many ,many Z Series Kaws both Std. & LTD's