New Guy 82 KZ1100

More
29 Jul 2013 20:21 #598982 by yarrg
New Guy 82 KZ1100 was created by yarrg
So, I'm a relatively new rider and picked up this little girl on a farm in east Georgia. Its the first bike that I have actually owned myself (other than a few dirt bikes) and got it as something to get a bit more comfortable to ride with as well as learn how to fix my own bikes in the future (should I need to).

So far the bike seems to run relatively well, but is still in need of some TLC. The gauges were toast for the most part so I'm running it very minimalist right now. New headlight, tail light, new cover on the seat, sanded and painted the tank, "cleaned up" the wiring, flushed the brakes, cleaned the carbs and put in some fresh oil and filter. On the to-do list right now are the front forks (the wont hold air for more than a few days), get a speedometer, and replace the valve cover gasket and the little rubber caps.

The only thing that has me a little concerned right now is it seems like its running abnormally hot. I don't have one of those nifty IR thermometers yet, but every time I ride I've noticed heat just rolling off the bike after I park it. Its air cooled so I figured it would get hot during operation and to be honest I don't really know what the normal operating temperature is, but I just didn't expect it to run as hot as it does. Any ideas?

Also, I'll post some more pics in the near future. Ignore the orange silicon on the motor. That will be taken care of shortly.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
29 Jul 2013 22:50 #599008 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic New Guy 82 KZ1100
Welcome to KZR. you'll like that bike, plenty of smooth power stock.
Make suhe gaskets, end plugs and shims, fork seals, as well as much more is available from z1enterpries.com
Here is a link to a factory service manual for you as well. enjoy.
www.kawiworld.com/index.php?option=com_c...icle&id=77&Itemid=99

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
30 Jul 2013 00:14 #599023 by yarrg
Replied by yarrg on topic New Guy 82 KZ1100
Hey thanks for the link. I'm sure I'll be picking the brains of the people here as I get more into fixing her up. So far I've got it running reasonably well. Small oil leak here and there, but hopefully nothing some new gaskets can't remedy. Any idea idea how difficult rebuilding the front forks would be? Thats next on my list right after the valve cover gasket and the end plugs (assuming thats what those little rubber caps are).

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
30 Jul 2013 00:33 #599024 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic New Guy 82 KZ1100
Fork rebuild is pretty simple. The manual covers it. Replacing the seals and changing the fluid may be all thats required. There are some o-rings on the cross over tube that can leak also.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
30 Jul 2013 08:17 #599047 by yarrg
Replied by yarrg on topic New Guy 82 KZ1100
Thanks man.

More
31 Jul 2013 11:19 #599208 by Shenaningeneer
Replied by Shenaningeneer on topic New Guy 82 KZ1100
Heeey! You've got /nearly/ an identical bike to mine. Dig it. I really like that lower profile seat on yours, too. That's near the top of my list of things to get done this winter.

Welcome from another 1100 newbie.

Riding a KZ1100-L in Salt Lake City and loving it.

More
31 Jul 2013 12:46 #599215 by Shenaningeneer
Replied by Shenaningeneer on topic New Guy 82 KZ1100
Speaking of, do you know what seat that is, or was it on there before you bought it?

Riding a KZ1100-L in Salt Lake City and loving it.