New Rider - New Brunswick Canada

More
24 May 2013 13:13 #589024 by mcguest12
New Rider - New Brunswick Canada was created by mcguest12
I recently purchased a 1982 KZ750 Spectre. The bike is in decent shape and seems to run fine. My main concern is the rattle at low RPMS. I have done some research and found this to be the timing chain in most cases. The general consensus is to buy a manual chain tightener, is this the correct way?

I have also been told that the chain going back to the transmission can cause some noise too, is this correct? If so, are there any tightening options? Or do I just run it?

I need to purchase a valve cover gasket, as it is seeping oil around this. Also, I need a seal for where the gear shift lever enters the transmission, it is leaking oil around this. Does anyone know the part name of this, I can't seem to find it anywhere.

I am also in need of a right side cover with all tabs intact. I have the left one and it is in good shape, but the right one was missing when I picked up the bike, does anyone have one laying around they would be interested in selling.

The other question I have is mine says H1 on the engine, is the H1 the ltd. or the spectre. The colors and side covers indicate it is a spectre, but i thought the spectre was the N1.

I am going to use the bike as a daily commuter and then strip and paint this upcoming winter.

I am also looking for part sources.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 May 2013 17:43 #589051 by boatdrinks
Replied by boatdrinks on topic New Rider - New Brunswick Canada
Welcome aboard!

Charles
Madison, AL
1978 KZ650 B2A, Luminous Dark Blue

More
24 May 2013 23:06 #589077 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic New Rider - New Brunswick Canada
Welcome.
Do find yourself a service manual, and go over all the regular maintenance items.
Check everything.
Including that all nuts and bolts are tightened properly.
Might even find something loose that is rattling.

If the rattle is cam chain noise, then remove the tensioner and inspect it.

Parts can be bought at many places, www.z1enterprises.com/ being one.

Sorry, not so familiar with the 750s, so can't help you on the engine #s.

Do post up some bigger pictures of her.
B)

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s