New User Says THANK YOU!

• themuteherald
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
15 May 2013 01:36 #587477 by themuteherald
New User Says THANK YOU! was created by themuteherald
Hey all. Back into motorcycles after too damn long - Thanks in part to you guys. I researched several bikes and ran across a black 84 KZ700 that I had to have.

This site and your posts are golden. I knew exactly what I was getting into when I picked up this worn out beauty. I knew where to get parts, which service manual to buy all before I bought the bike. Now I'm pouring over the manual to ready myself for fixing a carb leak and replacing the clutch.

Thanks for all the build photos and tips in your archives. Lots of motivation there.

"Leave them to me...I'll deal with them myself."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 May 2013 01:53 #587479 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic New User Says THANK YOU!

themuteherald wrote: ...84 KZ700...replacing the clutch....

Hello, themuteherald, and WELCOME to KZr! :cheer:

If not already done, be sure to perform the clutch push-rod adjustment, which might resolve the clutch issue.

Clutch push rod adjustment -- Need and Purpose
[This is a 1 minute job from start to finish, maybe 2 minutes the first time.]

The FSM covering Z1 and KZ900 includes a periodic maintenance chart requiring clutch push rod adjustment at 2000 mile (3000 km) intervals and explains the need therefor in separate text, which explanation is quoted verbatim as follows:

Besides cable stretch, clutch plate wear also causes the clutch to go out of adjustment, with a decrease in push rod play. Due to this wear, the push rod gradually moves closer to the clutch release lever (at the lower end of the clutch cable) until it touches the adjusting screw. When the rod is touching the screw and therefore has no play, the clutch will not engage fully and clutch slippage will occur. Note that the clutch push rod does not necessaily have play just because the clutch hand lever has play, and so hand lever play alone cannot be used to determine whether or not the clutch requires adjustment.

The FSM covering '77-'79 KZ1000's includes a periodic maintenance chart requiring clutch adjustment at 5000 km intervals, and explains the need therefor in slightly different language, which explanation is quoted verbatim as follows:

Clutch plate wear also causes the clutch to go out of adjustment. This wear causes the play between the push rod and the adjusting screw to gradually diminish until the push rod touches the adjusting screw. When this play is lost, the clutch will not engage fully, causing the clutch to slip.
NOTE: Even though the proper amount of play exists at the clutch lever, clutch lever play alone cannot be used to determine whether or not the clutch requires adjustment.

end of excerpt

While the clutch may indeed be worn out with plates needing replacement, it isn't uncommon to overlook or be unaware of the clutch pushrod adjustment feature, especially without a manual. It is worrisome to see anyone of unknown experience, without a manual or failing to consult a manual, proceed with clutch disassembly and plate replacement, without first being aware of and considering the clutch pushrod adjustment.

Where both (1) clutch cable slack adjustment is perfect, and (2) clutch pushrod adjustment is perfect, and the clutch still slips, suspicion is certainly toward the plates being worn and needing replacement. But other things can also cause slippage, even with proper adjustments and good plates, such as glazed plates or improper oil being used in the crankcase.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

More
15 May 2013 01:56 #587480 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic New User Says THANK YOU!
The clutch pushrod adjustment is supposed to provide a slight gap between the clutch actuator and the push rod, which assures the clutch plates are fully engaged when the handlebar clutch lever isn't being squeezed.

A few manuals are incorrect.

Some models are designed to first turn the adjustment screw clockwise until it seats (zero gap) and then turn it counter-clockwise 3/8 turn to provide the necessary gap.

Other models are designed to first turn the adjustment screw counter-clockwise until it seats (zero gap) and then turn it clockwise 3/8 turn to provide the necessary gap.

If the procedure as prescribed in the manual fails to produce proper clutch function, reverse the adjustment screw turning instructions and see what happens.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• themuteherald
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
15 May 2013 02:25 #587484 by themuteherald
Replied by themuteherald on topic New User Says THANK YOU!
Again...you gents ROCK! I just went through the manual on this topic. I'll do this tomorrow and see how it goes. Hopefully this takes care of the slip.

Thanks for the extra tips...

"Leave them to me...I'll deal with them myself."