Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

KZ1000 Police (Park Ranger) 30 Jun 2006 18:49 #58372

• Mandrake
  • Mandrake's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I picked up my 1988 KZ1000 Police this afternoon and rode it home from New Hampshire -about 70 miles. The bike has 18k miles and seemed to run pretty well, considering that I believe it sat for quite a while. There was a noticeable "rubbing" that I could hear and feel coming from the front end. Could that be unbalanced tires or perhaps bearings? The engine felt strong but not as responsive as I had hoped and there was more vibration than seemed normal. I plan to begin going through the systems and upgrading as necessary.

All the KZ Police Models I have seen are the standard white and black. This one is green and gray with yellow pinstripe. Anyone else have one of these? It was a former Park Ranger bike.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ1000 Police (Park Ranger) 30 Jun 2006 19:02 #58376

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
Among the other possibilities, the "rubbing" you're feeling could be a dragging brake pad. Possible the brake calipers need a little TLC: pull the pistons and shine 'em up with some #600 paper.

As for colors, they came in two varieties; black and white or white and black, take your pick. ;)

There were some odd items later on like a black-topped/white sided tank, white vs, black saddlebags and radio boxes and stripe jobs on the fairing, but the machine came black and white....

KZ1000 Police (Park Ranger) 30 Jun 2006 19:34 #58383

• Mandrake
  • Mandrake's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
Thanks for the advice - I'll look into that.

Attached a photo (not a great one)

Mandrake
Attachments:

KZ1000 Police (Park Ranger) 30 Jun 2006 19:39 #58384

• jbw7300
  • User
  • you can't ride if your fried
70 miles from NH! puts you close to me , probably see you on the road. good luck and happy wrenching!!!
84 kz 700 a1 sports

KZ1000 Police (Park Ranger) 30 Jun 2006 20:34 #58396

• wireman
  • Visitor
jbw7300 wrote:

70 miles from NH! puts you close to me , probably see you on the road. good luck and happy wrenching!!!

good luck,happy wrenching? i knew i shouldve patented that when i had the chance!:evil: :woohoo: :silly: :woohoo: :silly:

KZ1000 Police (Park Ranger) 30 Jun 2006 20:45 #58405

• neilage66
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
Green and grey with a yellow pinstripe could definitely be National Park Service color scheme. I know they call 'em "black-n-white's" but...
Maybe Psaur will post a current picture of a National Park ranger in uniform and we'll see. That is the exact coloration of the uniforms down to the yellow pinstripe.
I haven't gotten around to learning how to post pics direct in a thread...lazy or stupid I guess but I'll get there! Must be 'cause I work for the US Forest Service. Oh crap, now I've gone and blown my cover! :P

KZ1000 Police (Park Ranger) 30 Jun 2006 21:09 #58417

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
neilage66 wrote:

Green and grey with a yellow pinstripe could definitely be National Park Service color scheme. I know they call 'em "black-n-white's" but...

Maybe Psaur will post a current picture of a National Park ranger in uniform and we'll see. That is the exact coloration of the uniforms down to the yellow pinstripe...:P

Here you go:

Oooops! Wrong one! :blush:

This is more like it:

Custom-tailored, no less....

Of course it's some variation of the Park Service color scheme, but I very much doubt that the factory did a small run expressly for the park service. My guess would be that either a park manager aquired one or a few from a copshop somewhere, and had them done, or a ranger did it or had it done on his own initiative...

I knew the Park Manager at Kissimmee State Park in Florida some years ago, and as it went, he had pretty wide discretionary powers for slush fund money, so I wouldn't be surprised if a couple grand for park service paint jobs found its way into a budget somewhere... (dOOd made absolute *rocketfuel* White Lightning to bOoOt!)

Post edited by: Pterosaur, at: 2006/07/01 00:16
Attachments:

KZ1000 Police (Park Ranger) 01 Jul 2006 05:41 #58461

• ambergrismooon
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 2
I can't picture this guy on a gocycle....maybe with pikinik baskets for saddlebags!
Attachments:

KZ1000 Police (Park Ranger) 01 Jul 2006 06:13 #58464

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
ambergrismooon wrote:

I can't picture this guy on a gocycle....maybe with pikinik baskets for saddlebags!

Attachments:

• Page: