Hello from the Chicago Burbs-Looking for some help

More
19 Apr 2013 11:35 #583085 by pbfdrums
Hi All,
New member. I was thrilled to find the kzrider site.
I own a 77 KZ650C that has been parked for over 10 years. After some "prodding" from my neighbor, a Harley rider, I have decided the time has come to put my bike back on the road. She brought me lots of great memories, and I believe there are more to come.
It was stored properly, and I have done my best to bring her back to life. As of last night, she runs but is a "hard start". Been doing everything on-bike so far. I'm not confident tearing things off until I can confirm that it really needs to happen. I know there is much work left to do...
I'm wondering if there is anyone in the Chicago area with experience that would be interested in giving a fellow rider some help. I've never been afraid to tinker with smaller stuff... I'm the "go to" guy in the neighborhood when someone's lawn mower/snowblower/chainsaw won't run, but I'm not as confident going too deep into the bike without some experience backing me up.
I'm more than willing to trade hours to help someone else out and learn more about working on bikes, if someone with experience is willing to show me the ropes. I'll buy the water/pop/beer! lol
Send me a message if you think you can help!
Thanks Tons!
Paul

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Apr 2013 12:16 #583092 by 650ed
Sorry I'm not close enough to help. Do you have a fully charged fresh battery? When you try to start the bike be sure to turn the choke on and do not touch the throttle. Also, you may find the bike starts easily using the kick starter rather than the electric starter. Do you have fresh fuel in the bike, and were the carbs drained before storing? Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
More
19 Apr 2013 19:06 #583144 by bluej58
Welcome Paul,

Where do you Live, how may miles on the bike ?

How about some pics. ;)

JD

78 KZ1000 A2A

More
19 Apr 2013 19:48 #583153 by pbfdrums
Hi,

I'm in Schaumburg. 19K on the bike... 1 pic attached, more to come.
Attachments:

More
20 Apr 2013 19:52 #583350 by pbfdrums
Well... A nice Saturday afternoon made it's way into Chicago today. I was out messing with the bike and decided "enough is enough", these carbs need to be pulled and cleaned no matter what! It wan't difficult at all. I was concerned about float bowl gaskets, but they all released with no problem. I did not take the slides off, I decided to do the lower half to see what that would net me. Re-assembled everything, turned the key, hit the starter and she fired right up... just like the good old days, maybe even better! I didn't ride as I'm still digging up my title for plates and need insurance, but I'm thrilled with the effort. I should have done it right from the start. Much more to do, but I'm excited about getting out and riding again!

More
20 Apr 2013 20:10 #583353 by 650ed
Cool! I know you are smiling big time! Ed

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
More
21 Apr 2013 10:29 - 21 Apr 2013 10:37 #583412 by bluej58
Do you own a Kawasaki shop manual for your bike ?
If not I can tell you where to find a free PDF copy on line.

Please don't try to ride the season on old tires, especially be careful on cornering, old rubber may look fine but it isn't.

Get a big bottle of brake fluid and purge the old stuff using a tube into a clear jar until it looks fresh, clean off any spills right away with lots of rubbing alcohol.

Go to a bike shop and buy some cable lube, follow the instructions in the manual for lubing.

The fork oil is probably original and needs to be changed, also in the manual, no big deal.

I highly recommend this product for cleaning "all" the electrical connections,
store.caig.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.188/.f
Fry electronics carries it for about 16 bucks a can, plenty for 2 or 3 bikes.
"Do Not" use WD-40 as an electrical connection cleaner "ever"

Clean or replace your chain and sprockets then ride for a while to warm up the chain and spray it with chain wax while it is still warm.

78 KZ1000 A2A
Last edit: 21 Apr 2013 10:37 by bluej58.

More
21 Apr 2013 10:55 #583416 by pbfdrums
I do need to get my hands on a manual. I did own one back years ago, but we flooded the year of the big tornados that ripped through here and mine was ruined. Well noted on the the maintenance that needs to be done, it's part of my plan. The manual would be a great help. Thanks!

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
More
21 Apr 2013 11:04 #583417 by bluej58

More
21 Apr 2013 11:54 #583421 by 650ed
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationHere's one that is at a good price delivered and includes the KZ650-C1. Kawasaki service manuals that include the C1 can be hard to find. Ed

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
More
21 Apr 2013 12:06 #583423 by bluej58
Opps,just checked the link , I think you have to join to get the downloads, no big deal , friendly people and it don't cost nothin www.vintagebikeforum.org/index.php?action=forum

JD

78 KZ1000 A2A