New to Forum pt.2 Oh no, what have I gotten into?

More
27 Mar 2013 15:05 #579119 by geohaydook1
First, I'd like to thank you all for making me feel welcome.This looks like a great site.

I was a mechanic at an independent M.C. shop in northern California back in the 1980s and I learned that the hardest bike to work on was one someone else had worked on...and given up.
And that is just what I have here. I've had a few days to check out my "new" 750e and every day reveals another nasty surprise.

1.Went to change oil and filter...no filter, spring, or o-ring.
2. Pulled carbs for inspection and found a broken carb body where the p.o. tried to remove the air screw plug..and also broke the screw itself.
3. Checked valve clearances and found 5 valves with less than .038 clearance (my smallest gauge).
4. Missing clutch push rod.
5. Spun engine with electric starter and found NO OIL reaching the cams.
The fun continues.I have restored/re-animated many bikes over the years, and this looks to be my greatest challenge.Anybody need a boat anchor? :pinch:

1980 KZ750e
1981 KZ650 csr (fate undecided)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
27 Mar 2013 15:15 #579121 by wireman
Welcome to z-jungle. :)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
27 Mar 2013 17:24 #579134 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic New to Forum pt.2 Oh no, what have I gotten into?
This probably doesn't apply here, but your bike is a good example of why to never believe an ad that says "All it needs is...."
You may find this humorous - someone on another forum said the same thing about a missing oil filter n stuff... he was trying to find it by looking under the crankcase breather cover. hee.