new member and 1st time bike owner, 74 kz400

More
06 Feb 2013 21:13 #571130 by Nebr_Rex
Replied by Nebr_Rex on topic new member and 1st time bike owner, 74 kz400

Lakeoffire wrote: Yeah, I'm gonna go over the whole bike and do all the maintenance before I even start it because its sat for 2 years without being started....now about fixing it and selling it, not gonna happen...it's my first bike so it's kinda special (I'm dumb, I know) I really wanna ride it for a while as is while I'm buying all the parts I want to bob it and then when I get everything ill make it a bobber and I kinda wanna keep it forever even if I get other bikes...as for getting a bigger bike, I'm only 5' 7" and 150lbs so a bigger bike isn't really a big deal, not that I won't get a bigger one later but for now this will do the job...for being a 74' it has less than 12,000 miles on it so once I got over it and do all the maintenance it should run really well...I wanna thank everyone for commenting on my post and tryin to help me out, it's REALLY appreciated...my girls dad has a Harley and has been riding for a long time so he's gonna help me with a lot of stuff but I don't think he has ever did any customization...

Sounds like a good plan to me.

Some of the members here can be a little harsh.
Some probably don't even alter from the factory timing specs.(650ed. :whistle: )
We have seen many bikes get cut up and parts destroyed just for the 'look'.
Meaning the project never gets finished and the whole works gets sent the the scrap heap.
Bobbers are not my thing,but you might want to concider one of those CSR models like a LTD.
They already have the basic style of what your after.
Also the suggestions that Patton and Wireman gave have a lot of merit.
Do a search,keep studying,start wrenching on that baby Z1 and make it the best stock bike there is and the see what YOU can change to make it your own to suit your taste.

2002 ZRX1200R
81 GPz1100
79 KZ1000st daily ride
79 KZ1000mk2 prodject
78 KZ650sr
78 KZ650b
81 KZ750e
80 KZ750ltd
77 KZ400/440 cafe project
76 KZ400/440 Fuel Injected

www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=39120.0

The following user(s) said Thank You: Lakeoffire

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Feb 2013 22:35 #571144 by Bizzy
I'm a 1st time owner building a bobber from an 82 440 LTD. They have a nice frame for a 1st time builder. You can make them look real good without a lot of fabrication. The bikes w/ the straight frames require a lot of cutting, fabricating and welding.

More
06 Feb 2013 22:38 #571146 by Bizzy
Also join bobberforum.com there's is a lot of step by step builds on there w/ lots of pics and a lot of people w/ tons of knowledge. It's really helped me a lot. Most the guys are really great and willing to share knowledge freely.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lakeoffire

More
06 Feb 2013 22:42 #571148 by Kraz1

• donthaveakawman
  • Visitor
06 Feb 2013 23:54 #571164 by donthaveakawman
Replied by donthaveakawman on topic new member and 1st time bike owner, 74 kz400
I wish I would have started with a 400, I got whiplash frontwards, I got whiplash backwards, heck I even got whiplash sidewards from when I layed it down and landed on my shoulder. my lower spine is out of adjustment because of holding on with my butt. good purchase by the way, good fuel mileage. don't let these old timers with their large displacement put you down they don't take theirs out anymore anyways.

More
06 Feb 2013 23:56 - 06 Feb 2013 23:57 #571166 by LarryC
I can't for the life of me see why anyone would need a longer swing arm on a 400 bobber? What's the point?

The point of a bobber is simplicity :unsure:

I'm not dissing your project. Just injecting my personal thoughts on the matter.

Larry C.
Last edit: 06 Feb 2013 23:57 by LarryC.

• donthaveakawman
  • Visitor
06 Feb 2013 23:58 #571168 by donthaveakawman
Replied by donthaveakawman on topic new member and 1st time bike owner, 74 kz400

LarryC wrote: I can't for the life of me see why anyone would need a longer swing arm on a 400 bobber? What's the point?

The point of a bobber is simplicity :unsure:

I'm not dissing your project. Just injecting my personal thoughts on the matter.

doesn't a bobber have a hardtail anyways

More
07 Feb 2013 16:46 #571318 by Lakeoffire
Replied by Lakeoffire on topic new member and 1st time bike owner, 74 kz400
Thanx for tge sites guys, ill have to check them out...the only reason I wanted to extend the swingarm is because I was basing what I was gonna do to my bike on the picture of the black bike, bike after doing some research I think I'm going ti go with the TC Bros universal hardtail kit...is rather get a bolt on hardtail just so I didnt have to weld but it doesn't seam like they make em for a kawasaki, mainly hondas.

More
07 Feb 2013 17:19 #571323 by Kraz1

Lakeoffire wrote: I think I'm going ti go with the TC Bros universal hardtail kit...is rather get a bolt on hardtail just so I didnt have to weld but it doesn't seam like they make em for a kawasaki, mainly hondas.

Before you buy a hardtail kit from TC Brpos. check out 47 Industries, he's in Somerset, NJ and he's on Chop Cult .com...

More
09 Mar 2013 01:22 #576074 by Bizzy
TC doesn't make bolt on for Kaw, no one does. Just universal weld up kits. It sucks.

More
10 Mar 2013 21:43 #576435 by Arttodd
Replied by Arttodd on topic new member and 1st time bike owner, 74 kz400
So you took the plunge, bought yourself a little scooter (my crowd called your bikes scooters for short) welcome to the world of motorcycles. I bought a small bike then wanted a bigger bike. Do the maintenance, ride for a while, at least a full season. Do plenty of research before you make any modifications. The black bike has a long swingarm and idin't relocate the shocks which could cause problems both mechanical and handling. With enough weight and a hard enough bump you could bend the shocks. I'm not a expert but the way it looks its going to cause problems. Do you plan on having a passenger? Well, welcome aboard. Ride long and prosper

Arttodd
1979 Kawasaki KZ650 B3
Rock, Stock Old School Kaw