New rider/new member

More
05 Jan 2013 20:08 - 05 Jan 2013 20:08 #566015 by gbot9000
New rider/new member was created by gbot9000
I am a new rider and recently purchased my first bike. I have been learning alot from browsing these forums, seems like a great group.
My ride:
1979 kz650 B3

Attachment uploadfromtaptalk1357427220252.jpg not found

Attachment uploadfromtaptalk1357427237240.jpg not found

79 kz650
Attachments:
Last edit: 05 Jan 2013 20:08 by gbot9000.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• 4TheKZ1000
  • Visitor
05 Jan 2013 20:30 #566016 by 4TheKZ1000
Replied by 4TheKZ1000 on topic New rider/new member
Welcome to forum....nice stock rider.

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
05 Jan 2013 20:41 #566017 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic New rider/new member
nice bike...good tires....front fender is around to install?

welcome

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
More
05 Jan 2013 22:15 #566029 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic New rider/new member
Beautiful! That exhaust system is really sweet!! I would recommend getting a stock front fender if the previous owner didn't supply one. I will improve the looks of the front end, improve fork rigidity, and keep the bike and you clean.

Here are some tips that you may find helpful:

MANUAL

You really should consider buying the Kawasaki Factory Service Manual for your bike. The factory service manual provides instructions on the various maintenance procedures and schedules for your bike, procedures for diagnosing problems, proper torque values for the various fasteners (VERY IMPORTANT), and insight into how each system on your bike works even if you are not repairing that system. Studying the manual before you attempt performing service on your bike will impart an understanding of the system you are working on which will increase the odds of success.

The manuals usually are readily available for most models on eBay and other sources; but be sure to get one that has your specific year and model in it as there are differences between the various KZ650 models. I do not recommend Clymers, Haynes, or other aftermarket manuals as I have seen instances where they provide inaccurate advice. You may decide to use those to supplement the factory manual, but in my opinion they are not a suitable substitute. If you have trouble finding one for your model ask us to help.

TOOLS

Before reaching for that Phillips screwdriver to do a repair or maintenance PLEASE do yourself a big favor and visit the following link. It explains the fact that Phillips screwdriver tips will wreck the crosshead screws (they are not Phillips - they are JIS screws) on your KZ650 and tells how to easily deal with this issue so it will not be a problem.

kzrider.com/forum/21-tools/532335-budget...ewdriver-tips#532335

Before reaching for that wrench or ratchet consider the following. The bolts are steel, but your engine and front forks are aluminum. The bolts are much tougher than the aluminum and if over tightened will strip the aluminum threads. Although these can be repaired, preventing damage by applying proper torque will save you grief, time, and money. Tightening fasteners properly requires torque wrenches. Various vendors, including Snap-on, CDI, Sears, etc., market torque wrenches. The two most popular types are the bar type and micrometer type. Either will work, but the micrometer type is a bit easier to use, especially if you are tightening several fasteners with the same torque – such as cylinder head covers. You will need a torque wrench calibrated in INCH POUNDS for many of the bolts. You will also need a torque wrench calibrated in FOOT POUNDS for the larger bolts. Don't try to use the foot pounds wrench on the smaller bolts as it will not be sensitive enough at low torque settings to provide accurate torque. There are many fasteners that require low torque. These include such things as 6mm oil pan bolts, cylinder head cover bolts, etc. for which the torque in 61-78 inch pounds. These low torque bolts require a wrench that is accurate at low settings and this wrench should be graduated in inch pounds. In addition, there are numerous high torque fasteners such as the front axle nuts (51 – 65 foot pounds) or swing arm pivot shaft nuts (58 – 87 foot pounds). These require a wrench that is accurate at higher settings; this wrench should be graduated in foot pounds. Using the proper torque wrenches to correctly tighten fasteners will help prevent damage and contribute to a safe bike. The Kawasaki Service Manual will list the various torque specs for the bolts. I suggest you get the manual before buying the torque wrenches so you can decide which wrenches best meet the torque specs.

Consider buying a can of Kroil penetrating oil and use it to soak stubborn fasteners for a couple days before trying to loosen them. Remember, the original screws and bolts were installed on your bike when Jimmy Carter was President, so many of them may be hard to remove.

OIL
The ingredients in oils have changed over the years. For example, today's Castrol GTX oil (and pretty much all other AUTOMOBILE oil) is not the same as it was in the 1980's. Back then it worked great in KZ bikes. But, things have changed. Early AUTOMOBILE oils contained zinc phosphorus compounds (ZDDP) to protect engines from metal to metal contact. This was good for engines, but it was found to be destructive to catalytic converters. Consequently, in AUTOMOBILE oils ZDDP was virtually eliminated and replaced with different chemistry generically referred to as "Friction Modifiers." These work fine and offer good protection for normal AUTOMOBILE engines. However, today's AUTOMOBILE oil "Friction Modifiers" are destructive to wet clutches. KZ bikes (and many other brands) have wet clutches. As a result of these oil chemistry changes a distinction needed to be made between those oils which are suitable for wet clutches and those which are not. That distinction was documented by the Japanese Engine Oil Standards Implementation Panel (JASO). JASO developed a number of different oil specifications for different applications. The specifications that apply to 4 stroke motorcycles fall under the "4T Specifications." Within the 4T specifications the JASO MA class oils are specifically formulated for 4 stroke motorcycles with wet clutches.

There are synthetic, semi-synthetic, and non-synthetic oils that meet the JASO-MA standard and any of them will work ok. However, using oils that are not designated as meeting the JASO-MA standard are destructive to KZ clutches.

Good luck with your bike; I hope you plan to keep it stock as it look great as is. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• donthaveakawman
  • Visitor
05 Jan 2013 22:45 - 05 Jan 2013 22:49 #566032 by donthaveakawman
Replied by donthaveakawman on topic New rider/new member
< points finger at new member
Last edit: 05 Jan 2013 22:49 by donthaveakawman. Reason: art ended up disfigured

More
06 Jan 2013 15:52 #566108 by gbot9000
Replied by gbot9000 on topic New rider/new member
Thanks for the welcome everyone. Thanks 650Ed, that's a great read, excellent information.
I do have the stock fender, its painted silver (spray paint) over the original chrome I belive. I Wasn't digging it, so I took it off.

79 kz650

More
06 Jan 2013 23:51 #566164 by boatdrinks
Replied by boatdrinks on topic New rider/new member
Welcome, very clean bike. Enjoy!

Charles
Madison, AL
1978 KZ650 B2A, Luminous Dark Blue

More
06 Jan 2013 23:58 #566166 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic New rider/new member
Welcome gbot9000.
Nice rides!
B)

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
07 Jan 2013 00:46 #566180 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic New rider/new member
you can post wanted ad on here with the year and 1-10 quality you desire for a fender and folks will step up if anyone has one...cheaper than e-bay...folks here are really good with helping a guy get a little thing here or there

really nice bike...hang onto that one...they are not very easy to get in that shape all the time

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
20 Jan 2013 15:31 #568306 by KZ1000LTDPENNSYLVANIA
Replied by KZ1000LTDPENNSYLVANIA on topic New rider/new member
Hey gbot9000,

That bike is Sweet!!!

Welcome to the forum!

How many miles on her?

1979 KZ1000 LTD

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
20 Jan 2013 16:46 #568310 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic New rider/new member
Welcome to z-jungle!
A stock 77-80 kz1000 ltd front fender will bolt right on there and look a lot better than the stock 650 fender B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.