Hi from Australia

More
31 Oct 2012 12:31 #556534 by morves
Hi from Australia was created by morves
Hi there

So I am halfway through a rebuild/cafe racer project on a KZ200. Enjoying learning as I go.

I have just got it running temporarily, but need some advice as the engine is still really unknown condition to me. It runs, but seems to be revving really high, I set the timing as well.

Is it fair to say that I will be able to tune the carbi to get the idle down and the bike running smoother. Also with the timing, does the fact it starts indicate I have the spark timing pretty close to true.

I have another thread on "Kawariders" which is an Aussie forum. I started it from when I first got the bike, so if someone would tell me its cool to add a link to that site, you would get more detail and how I have been going. No one there seems to be offering me much mechanical advice.

Thanks, hope to use the forum some more, maybe I will add some questions in the engine section, I'm sure you all will point me in the right direction.

Cheers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Oct 2012 13:06 #556546 by Del_Herring
Replied by Del_Herring on topic Hi from Australia
Welcome to the forum.

A couple things can cause it to rev high, I assume you mean when idling. It's probably either running lean, or else your timing is off (I believe being too far advanced would be the potential issue). Since you say you set the timing properly, the lean condition would be my first bet.

What are you using for air filter, if anything? Running without one can cause the lean condition.

If your timing's good, and you aren't lean, the carb adjustments should be all you need for idle. Should just be an idle adjustment screw. If you can turn it down and get the proper idle and still have it run smoothly, problem solved. It's worth a try at least, if trying to bring it down just makes it stall, it may be another issue causing it.

You can get away with being a little off on the timing and still get it to start, but you wouldn't want to keep it that way. In the long run it could wear things out faster, and won't quite run right. But it's at least somewhere in the ballpark, not 180 degrees out.

1983 KZ750-N2 Spectre

More
31 Oct 2012 13:06 #556547 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic Hi from Australia
pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:silly:

leon

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

More
03 Nov 2012 06:27 - 03 Nov 2012 06:29 #556912 by morves
Replied by morves on topic Hi from Australia
Here a photo so you get an idea.

Had it running again today, tuned carby a bit, seemed a little better, but its a hard without any muffler or air filter.

Just using those old handle bars for ease of movement, gonna get some sweet clubmans.

Attachment 2012-10-1018.48.10.jpg not found

Attachments:
Last edit: 03 Nov 2012 06:29 by morves. Reason: add file