• lightfju
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Let's Kick this Pig
More
23 Aug 2012 14:04 #544317 by lightfju
New Guy to Forum was created by lightfju
Hello everyone!

I am new, not only to this forum, but also to motorcycles. I have had a love for them since I was 15 and have had my license for about 4 years, and rode a few of my buddies’ bikes, but just bought one a few weeks ago.

I bought a 83 KZ750 Spectre. It is ragged looks horrible but runs well. I plan to take the winter to fix it up. I have a knack for fixing and repairing things. I will post pictures of the process when I start. I have already bought the service manual, replaced the front master cylinder and rebuilt the back one. There is a lot that I want to do, and funds willing, I will do it this winter.

I do have a "newbie" question (if this is not the place to ask I can repost in the right place). I would like to get new grips, hand controls and foot controls and stuff like that. As I look online there are some many different place to buy from, but nothing specifically made for my bike. Does anyone know where I can get good parts?

Thanks for a a great place to get ideas and ask questions!

'83 KZ750 Spectre
I Live to Restore, Rebuild and Make New

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Mcdroid
  • Away
  • User
  • Gone Kwackers
More
23 Aug 2012 14:21 #544320 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic New Guy to Forum
Two suggestions:

1) Become one with eBay...the site will be a curse and a blessing for your new life as an owner of ancient motorcycle(s).

2) Maintenance parts for your motorcycle can be purchased from www.z1enterprises.com If they don't show it on their site, call and ask.

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

More
23 Aug 2012 15:17 #544327 by OldSchoolZ
Replied by OldSchoolZ on topic New Guy to Forum
B) Welcome Lightfju.

1)People in cars are trying to sneak up and run you over(pretend always)

2) Corners come up much faster than you realize.

3) Dont let your enthusiasm exceed your ability.

Ok, now your ready. :laugh:

By the way, it sounds like you got the perfect first bike. Runs good and you wont cry if it gets a few scratches. Slips when first riding are to be expected etc...backing out of parking spot slip in oil, fall over... I always say theres 2 kinds of bike riders. Those who have fallin down and those who are going to. I stunted for years and have a grocery list of body damage and broken bones.
You dont have to be that guy. ;)

Remember, don't work on your bike so much you never ride it.

• lightfju
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Let's Kick this Pig
More
24 Aug 2012 11:29 - 24 Aug 2012 11:40 #544480 by lightfju
Replied by lightfju on topic New Guy to Forum
Thanks for the info. I have found that ebay has been taking alot of my time latley.

Mcdroid www.z1enterprises.com is an AWESOME find!! Thanks. this has a bunch of the stuff I am looking for!!!

I also have picts (I read that this forum loves them!!)

'83 KZ750 Spectre
Attachments:
Last edit: 24 Aug 2012 11:40 by lightfju. Reason: Add pictures and comments

More
24 Aug 2012 19:52 #544596 by Je77ekz1000a
Replied by Je77ekz1000a on topic New Guy to Forum
Schweet!!!

Should clean up nice!

Jesse Shasteen
77 KZ1000 A
Huntsville AL

More
24 Aug 2012 21:57 #544613 by tinlizzie37
Replied by tinlizzie37 on topic New Guy to Forum
What a nice looking bike. Welcome to the group. Take a Motorcycle safety course to get yourself familiar with the bike and the laws. I think you can get a discount on your insurance also. Drive defensive, lots of people are not paying attention. Good luck, and all you need to do is a little clean up on her and you'll be good to go. Bob

Bob KZ 650 E1, En 450

• lightfju
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Let's Kick this Pig
More
28 Aug 2012 10:34 - 28 Aug 2012 10:35 #545261 by lightfju
Replied by lightfju on topic New Guy to Forum

OldSchoolZ wrote: I always say theres 2 kinds of bike riders. Those who have fallin down and those who are going to.

Well it happenend yesterday...

I was in a parking lot (at work) was going slow and tipped right over... The first thing I thought of was what OldSchoolZ said on the forum. I am now on of the others. No injuries to me or the bike, Thank the maker!

But on the way Home last night my clutch cable broke. I was on a road that is not so busy and I had my wife bring some vice grips and made it home (slowly).

Oh what a day!!

'83 KZ750 Spectre
Last edit: 28 Aug 2012 10:35 by lightfju.