New CO member, and tech question.

More
17 Aug 2012 21:08 #543155 by niblick
New CO member, and tech question. was created by niblick
Hello everyone, purchased my first bike the other day. An 81 KZ750h and I'm loving her. After being around cars my whole life, I decided to try something new.
I've also got a few questions, bit rather than make a whole new thread, I'll post it here.
First off, she just started acting up. The carb drain on the far right side constantly leaks. I put a vacuum nipple on it to top the leak temporarily. What would cause this?
Secondly, she doesn't seem to want to accelerate. When I give it throttle from a stop, it barely stays alive till I get it past 2k. Once higher up in the revs, it hauls. Does this sound like a fuel issue?
Thanks for any help!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Aug 2012 21:33 #543162 by KZJOE900
Replied by KZJOE900 on topic New CO member, and tech question.
Hi Niblick, Welcome to KZR. Sorry to hear you are having fuel problems. But I first would suggest taking off the vacuum plug off the carb overflow tube and let it drip out. Better for it to drip out of the bike than into your crankcase and contaminate the oil. That may have happened already so the oil and filter will need to be fixed once the problem is fixed prior to running the bike. Until you get at fixing the carbs better to put a fuel hose on the overflow tube instead and the other end into container to catch the fuel. You should start a new thread under the carburetor section. Try to purchase or download a service manual. Someone here may be able to help you out. As for the acceleration, it maybe that your pilot circuit needs cleaning. So cleaning out the carburetors sounds like may be in order. And finally, you wouldn't get any dripping from the overflow (I'm assuming this is were it is coming from but could be wrong) if the fuel petcock was functioning properly and shutting off the fuel when bike is off (I think yours is a vacuum type). People here will help you with the steps involved in diagnosing the problem once you are ready to do so. Good luck and again, welcome aboard.

Current project 76 KZ900 (This was a Vetter model)
76 KZ900
81 XJ550H SECA (Current Project)
82 XJ550R SECA
Past:
86 FJ1200
74 Z1900
72 CB450
The following user(s) said Thank You: niblick

More
17 Aug 2012 23:05 - 22 Jan 2013 21:18 #543179 by martin_csr
Last edit: 22 Jan 2013 21:18 by martin_csr.
The following user(s) said Thank You: niblick

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
17 Aug 2012 23:09 #543181 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic New CO member, and tech question.
time for a good tune up B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
18 Aug 2012 00:44 #543207 by niblick
Replied by niblick on topic New CO member, and tech question.
Thanks for the help, everyone! I sniffed the oil, and it's fine. No gasoline odor at all.
To answer Martin's question, its leaking out of carb 4, and only when the bike's straight up.

More
18 Aug 2012 11:23 #543257 by niblick
Replied by niblick on topic New CO member, and tech question.
Update: I pulled the plugs last night, and the number 4 plug was nice and black. So this plus the leaking overflow line on carb 4 is telling me the float might be stuck. I'm going to try and see if I can find a rebuild kit locally.