Hello 77 kz750 need advice

More
21 Jul 2012 05:45 #537422 by jayce
Hello 77 kz750 need advice was created by jayce
Hello I'm new here I shure use a little advice. I have a 77 kz750 for a week it ran 16 yrs ago strong got put in shed and given to me I kick it a few times to check if it was seized up it kicked just fine so I was happy. Well anyways got it home and charged batery took off the gas tank cleaned it out. Tried to start it with key and starter just whined , so I kicked it two times and now the kickstart is stuck at top position so I thought worst is my engine siezed hmmmm. So I took the crank case cover off and turned the crank with wrench and I had my plugs out and both pistons move so I'm so confused please help me. I never had a bike befor and I shure like this bike. Thanks

Jayce

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jul 2012 09:07 #537435 by Topper
Replied by Topper on topic Hello 77 kz750 need advice
When you say the starter just whines, can you tell if the starter is turning the engine over?

Take your spark plugs out, put your thumb over one spark plug hole and push the starter button. It should blow your thumb off the hole. Repeat for the other spark plug hole.

Also, while you have the plugs out, check for spark. Connect one end of the plug to the plug wire as usual. Then hold the plug so the other end is grounded to the engine. Push the starter button and you should see a strong blue spark jumping across the gap. Check both plugs.

Both of these tests will be easier to do if you pull your clutch lever in and secure it with a zip tie or string. That way you have at least one hand free.

Permanent and perpetual noob.

1979 KZ750 Twin
2009 Kawasaki Versys

More
21 Jul 2012 15:49 #537477 by jayce
Replied by jayce on topic Hello 77 kz750 need advice
Thanks, allot for the info I will try this. Starter sproket and chain and crank look good all the teeth are good. Do you know why my kick start is so hard to push. Is it possibility that the carbs are cloged up? And when I turned the crank I could hear air from the compression is that a good thing?

Jayce

More
21 Jul 2012 16:21 #537484 by Topper
If the bike's been sitting that long, chances are the carbs are gummed up. That won't have anything to do with the kick though. There's probably something wrong with the kick mechanism.

You need fuel, spark and compression to run. Use the thumb over the sprak plug hole as a rudimentary compression test. Check for spark like I said and go from there.

1979 KZ750 Twin
2009 Kawasaki Versys
The following user(s) said Thank You: jayce

More
21 Jul 2012 16:21 - 21 Jul 2012 16:23 #537486 by Topper

1979 KZ750 Twin
2009 Kawasaki Versys
Last edit: 21 Jul 2012 16:23 by Topper. Reason: double post

More
21 Jul 2012 21:32 #537533 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Hello 77 kz750 need advice

jayce wrote: ...Do you know why my kick start is so hard to push....

Would remove spark plugs and try again to turn the engine over by using the kick starter.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
01 Aug 2012 22:21 #540108 by jayce
Replied by jayce on topic Hello 77 kz750 need advice
I took the pluggs out. Took the crank case off I can turn the crank with a socket pistons move air blows my fingers off the plugg holes. Once again my problem is it kicked nice two times then gets stiff so I turn the crank a little to a easyer spot then I can kick it twice no problem then its Jamed gain. Hmmmm why and off course it has a dry battey in it from 1996. I just got it two weeks ago its been stored since 96. Father inlaw put it away it ran nice. Why is it jammed up. I'm really stumped on this. ThAnks for any info. I'm new to bikes and I like this bike. Should I sell it for $350 or is it worth more or garbage?

Jayce

More
02 Aug 2012 00:09 #540129 by KZJOE900
Replied by KZJOE900 on topic Hello 77 kz750 need advice
Looking at the picture in your avatar, it looks like a decent bike. And should be worth more than $350.00. And definitely not garbage. Not sure what could be the problem with your starter and kick starter. I think the KZ750 twins are know for starter issues. But in your case, maybe its just a weak battery. As far as the kick starter is concerned, from your description it sounds like a problem with the kick starter itself and not the engine. These old bikes take a little bit of patience to get going after sitting for a long time. If the battery is 16 years old, its not going to charge. You need a new one. Its good that you cleaned out the tank. But you should buy a gravity feed inline filter just to be on the safe side. Only 3 or 4 bucks for one. Has to be gravity feed compatible. It is very unlikely that the carbs are clean enough for it to start. Unless it was stored completely dry of gas when put away. So carbs will most likely need to be cleaned. I should have listed the next step as the first step. Buy yourself a factory service manual. This is the only way you can navigate through the maintenance and any diagnoses or repairs that the bike may need. Once you get to the point where you can ride the bike, you should invest in a new set of tires. Don't be fooled by appearance of tires on the bike. If they look good, they are still unsafe and need to be changed. Its the only thing between you and the road. Good luck.

Current project 76 KZ900 (This was a Vetter model)
76 KZ900
81 XJ550H SECA (Current Project)
82 XJ550R SECA
Past:
86 FJ1200
74 Z1900
72 CB450

More
02 Aug 2012 07:26 #540201 by Topper
Don't give up on the bike. It does sound like the problem is with the kickstarter, not the engine.

So try to get the electric starter working. Clean the carbs, get a new battery and spark plugs and try the electric start again.

And yes, get a service manual.

1979 KZ750 Twin
2009 Kawasaki Versys