Noob here in WI

More
11 Jul 2012 12:51 #535257 by danWI
Noob here in WI was created by danWI
Allo alls,

Thought I'd introduce myself to the folks here. I've been wrenching 350/450 Hondas and early Yamahas the last 30 years. Been fun and I like to think I've learned something along the way. :side:

and now outta my comfort zone: My brother and I picked up a FREE '74 KZ400 in need of work. Being new to Kawasaki (and just not knowing details or established research) I bought a '79 KZ400 parts bike. OPPS! It appears few parts interchange... Now we're looking to make one runner outta usable parts and enjoy the results. All comments and opinions welcome. danWI

2 wheels, a go-fast motor, and objects abound to hurt you.

WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jul 2012 13:14 #535259 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Noob here in WI
Yes, the 400 had a lot of minor changes in those 5 years. Very few parts will likely swap, but I think motors and frames will swap, so pick what you think is the best motor (including carbs) and put it into what you think is the best frame/chassis.

The later carbs will have issues with the diaphragms. Because the motor is a 360 degree motor, some people are using single-carb conversions which may make tuning easier.

You may want to check out the twins site since the info will be more specific to the 400's. www.armbell.com/kz400/index.php?sid=c35c...fcc2365&mforum=kz400

More
12 Jul 2012 10:11 #535415 by danWI
Replied by danWI on topic Noob here in WI
Thanks for the lead and information! I've enrolled at the other site and am awaiting verification. danWI

2 wheels, a go-fast motor, and objects abound to hurt you.

WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG?