New guy from Fargo- just picked up a '77 KZ650

More
26 Jun 2012 17:24 #531941 by DeFi
Hi everyone,

I've been riding for about 12 years and have owned several bikes over the years, old and new. I've been lurking this site for a bit while keeping my eye out for KZ, which I've always wanted. Well, I finally found one after a couple months of searching, recently selling my '07 Suzuki SV650S, which I loved and highly recommend. I picked up '77 KZ650 and an extra gas tank for $650, its got about 10,600 miles on it. The frame number is KZ650B-007143 and the engine is 007570. It runs great, most of the chrome is still in very good condition, though I did notice a small amount of rust forming inside the gas tank. The gas tank they gave me is perfectly clean, but not the right year. The tank on the bike was sanded, primed and rattle canned by the previous owner, to prevent rust as they said. Its not a perfect tank that is dented, weird dents, long one's like it was leaned up against something, probably going to have to get a different tank. I bought this with the intention of doing a 'rider' restoration, I'd like to bring it back to a clean, nice looking everyday rider and keep it relatively original.

I'm not going to pretend I'm something that I'm not. I'm kind of a rookie when it comes to motorcycle mechanics, I've always done the lite work on my previous cycles, but never really dug into anything serious. But I'm eager to learn, I'm a product engineer and write standard operating procedures for software all day, so I'm good at directions. So, please excuse the stupid boneheaded directions I'll probably throw at you guys.

Can anyone identify this gas tank? Would it fit my bike? I know its not the original, but its a cool looking tank.

Any advice on things to do first? I'm also trying to save for a down payment on a house, so I want to keep things cheap for the time being.

Anyway, glade to be a member, there seems to be an amazing pool of talent on here. Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give.

Attaching pictures, hopefully they work. Excuse me if they don't, different forums do this in different ways.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jun 2012 17:32 #531943 by DeFi
This is embarrassing. Let me try the pictures again
Attachments:

More
26 Jun 2012 17:58 #531951 by 650ed
Welcome aboard; Nice bike! If that exhaust system is as nice as it looks treat it like a newborn baby. Original exhaust system in good shape are far and few between. Unless I'm missing something in the pictures, both tanks look like normal KZ650 B or C model tanks and either should be correct for your bike. Be sure to ask lots of question before you dive into anything you're not positive about. Here's a couple recommendations I just sent to another new owner of a rally nice KZ:

kzrider.com/forum/10-new-members/531915-...ing-condition#531947

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
26 Jun 2012 18:03 - 26 Jun 2012 18:08 #531954 by KZJOE900
Replied by KZJOE900 on topic New guy from Fargo- just picked up a '77 KZ650
Welcome DeFi! For $650 for a bike in that shape, you are already way ahead of the game. The bike looks awesome from the pictures. Very nice. I would start by doing standard maintenance (oil, filter, chain adjustment and lube). Install an inline gravity fuel filter if there is not one already. Especially if there is rust in the tank like you indicate. As for the rusty tank, you mentioned the other tank is clean. So as long as it fits, temporarily use that tank while you de-rust the one that came installed. You can use white vinegar in the tank to de-rust it. You can buy a plug from a hardware store or pool place (seen some that members here used) and plug up the holes. Let the vinegar (filled to the top) soak for a a week or two. You can tilt the tank forward or backwards from time to time so the whole top of the tank gets treated as well. You can check the progress every few days. Once complete, empty the vinegar and wash out tank with water then spray the inside with wd40 to help prevent flash rusting. Make sure all debris has been washed out. You'll have a new tank inside.

Current project 76 KZ900 (This was a Vetter model)
76 KZ900
81 XJ550H SECA (Current Project)
82 XJ550R SECA
Past:
86 FJ1200
74 Z1900
72 CB450
Last edit: 26 Jun 2012 18:08 by KZJOE900.

More
26 Jun 2012 18:49 #531962 by DeFi
Thanks guys.

650ed- Thanks for the link, very useful. I had no idea about the Phillips tips, this is exactly the type of information I need. And yes, the exhaust is one of the nicest features on the bike, there's not a spot of rust on it, it was one of the reasons I jumped up to grab it. There was another '77 KZ650 on craigslist for $700 OBO, I was just about to take off and go look at it, I hit the refresh before leaving and seen this one for the same price, it was much nicer. The other one ran nice but the exhaust was a mess, the tank was rough and it didn't have the side covers. And with the tank, I seen a totally different looking badge on it and assumed it was from a different year, its good to know its still correct.

swmiller944- I'll get started on the tank this weekend, I've seen a million different ways to clean out tanks, some very complicated, this seems to be the simplest cheapest way I've seen, appreciate the tip. I'll also get started on all of the routine maintenance.

Any members in the Minnesota/North Dakota area?

More
26 Jun 2012 19:57 - 26 Jun 2012 20:04 #531972 by 650ed
Actually, since your bike is a 1977 the badges on the spare tank (all upper case) are the type that would have come on your bike originally. BTW, just so you know for looking up parts or ordering the correct manual, the model of your bike is a 1977 KZ650-B1. Ed

Check your Private Messages. Ed

Last edit: 26 Jun 2012 20:04 by 650ed.

• Proxy
  • User
  • 80% Human 20% Nuts/Bolts
More
26 Jun 2012 21:30 #531996 by Proxy
Very nice bike and very nice price. Take care of her.

Take it from me cuz I found
If you leave it then somebody else is bound,
To find that treasure, that moment of pleasure,
When yours, it could have been.
1977 KZ650 B1 Being restored to original (Green)
1977 KZ650 B1 Original (Red) Sold
1977 KZ650 B1 Donor Bike for Parts

More
26 Jun 2012 23:05 #532016 by Kapahulu
Replied by Kapahulu on topic New guy from Fargo- just picked up a '77 KZ650
You scored! Take good care of it and please don't carve it up into a piece of modern cafe junk.

1978 KZ1000, 1976 KZ900, 1975 H2, 1973 H1, 1973 H2, 1978 RD400, 1977 RD400, 1974 RD350
2strokeworld.com

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
27 Jun 2012 00:02 #532021 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic New guy from Fargo- just picked up a '77 KZ650
nice one......welcome

i see deals out there on bigger kz's and Z1's a lot

and have relatives there......good score

Craig

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
27 Jun 2012 00:12 #532022 by P21
man you guys are gettin all the good bike what is going on..

looks real nice i wish i had my old one back lesson learned never sell my bikes again i am a bike horder..........lol

Kawasaki KZ 1000 Police (2002) P21

More
27 Jun 2012 13:14 #532096 by DeFi
Thanks everyone. We do have some good deals up here if you put in a little work. It took me about a month and half to find what I wanted. I wasn't in a hurry, so I waited for the best deal to crop up.

Quick question. It runs really well and has about 10,600 miles, you think its necessary to adjust the valves at this point? My last bike didn't need that until about 14,000. Is the valve adjustment based purely on the number of miles or does age factor into this?

Thanks, Brian

More
27 Jun 2012 13:29 #532100 by 650ed
There are lots of variables that contribute to if and when valves need to be adjusted, but in general the KZ650 shim under bucket valve configuration doesn't need a lot of adjustment. On my KZ650-C1, which I bought new in April, 1977, I adjusted 1 valve at 500 miles because it was close to the loose limit of the valve clearance range. I believe it was shipped that way from the factory. That is the only valve that has ever been adjusted. I check the valve clearances regularly and they barely fluctuate at all. None has changed by more than 1/1000th of an inch since the bike was new, and I now have more than 52,000 miles on it. Since your bike is running well I suspect the valve clearances are fine.

If you want to be positive, you can check the valve clearances. To do so you will need a set of QUALITY feeler gauges (junk feeler gauges are often inaccurate) and to be safe new cam cover and points cover gaskets. The Kawasaki Service Manual provides instructions on how to check the valve clearances. If you decide to check the clearance be sure to follow the instructions carefully. Ed