LTD from Ohio

• turtleescape
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
15 Jun 2012 07:33 #529251 by turtleescape
LTD from Ohio was created by turtleescape
Hello, I picked up this 1982 kz1000 ltd not running last week. From what the seller told me it had not been run in seven years. I did get it running and i still have a few bugs to work out of it. I originally wanted to build some sort of street fighter out of it. At this point I am still unsure it is very complete for a 30 year old bike. I welcome any thoughts or advice.
thanks, bob
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Jun 2012 08:22 #529258 by JEFFG1
Replied by JEFFG1 on topic LTD from Ohio
welcome, what part of ohio i am from lucas close to mansfield

1976 KZ 900 PRO STREET 1977 kz1000 dragbike project

More
15 Jun 2012 08:32 #529262 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic LTD from Ohio
I think it would be a big mistake to cut that bike up or repaint it; it looks like it has been meticulously maintained for 30+ years and is in great condition. I would just toss the sissy bar, tune it up, and ride it. IMHO bikes are meant to be ridden, deer are meant to be butchered. ;) If you want to modify a bike why not get something that is ugly and make it nice? That way you will retain the value, comfort, and good looks of the nice original bike you just bought; they're only original once, and those are getting rarer and more valuable each day. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
15 Jun 2012 09:12 - 15 Jun 2012 09:14 #529268 by Medina
Replied by Medina on topic LTD from Ohio
you did ask..

its a crime to chop up any motorized vehicle that is 30 years old or older, complete and in good condition. Those awesome vehicles you see from the 30's didn't stay that way getting chopped up, scrapped or parted out.

Finish it, ride it, sell it for a profit- my last 3-4 bikes were like that. I did get a basket case yamaha triple that begged for bobbing, but I realized all the parts were in fact there in the various boxes (no..really "basket" case bike) and in fair shape..just finished the project.

Ohio, eh? Where at? I see bikes selling for a few hundred that are in dire need of a major face lift!
thats not one of them- that thing is a GREAT commuter around town once fixed to utter reliable. 45mpg, fun, shopping, errands..it will fill the bill.

edit: THOSE tires look like they are TEN years old. A test ride ATGATT is one thing, but dont trust them...two hundred bucks and you have great rubber that will last 4 years, 50 a year, 5 bucks a month to prevent you leaving DNA in the pavement? Priceless.

1981 KZ1100 Vetter "Luminous Navy Blue" DAMN YOU COLOR CODES!
Medina, Oh
My Bike Thread
www.kzrider.com/forum/10-new-members/469298-from-ohio
Last edit: 15 Jun 2012 09:14 by Medina.

More
15 Jun 2012 09:41 #529271 by peter1958
Replied by peter1958 on topic LTD from Ohio
Nice old bike. I wouldnt change much maybe the sissy bar like ed said and get some new rubber. But its your bike.

• turtleescape
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
15 Jun 2012 20:15 #529422 by turtleescape
Replied by turtleescape on topic LTD from Ohio
I am west of Cleveland.

Thanks for the thoughts on this bike. I did get the bike very cheep so building something fun was the original intent. However my father judges and restores model A Fords for the past 30 years. Modding this bike may get me disowned. I may just do like suggested and get it back in original shape and sell it.

How common are these in this shape? The tank is the only thing that would need paint it has a few bad spots. Any ideas what it would be worth?

• 4TheKZ1000
  • Visitor
15 Jun 2012 20:39 #529427 by 4TheKZ1000
Replied by 4TheKZ1000 on topic LTD from Ohio
nice bike some spit and polish and its a keeper. Leave it a stocker dude

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
15 Jun 2012 22:01 #529441 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic LTD from Ohio
x2

that will clean up more and more as you go and over time can become easier and easier to keep and improve it....and it will be much better left pretty close to how it was meant to be...bars ,rubber,little trick parts..sure....but hacking one up rarely improves em...

4TheKZ1000 wrote: nice bike some spit and polish and its a keeper. Leave it a stocker dude

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
26 Jun 2012 08:03 #531832 by wcysl
Replied by wcysl on topic LTD from Ohio
If you plan on keeping it....Set it up the way you want! Make that bike yours. Just don't take it further than time or $$$$ will let you. Make sure you get on that bike and have some fun.
You know how many bikes get torn down and never put back together?
By the way I am in Parma Oh.

Ahh the sound of a socket wrench late at night. haha..
1979 KZ1000 B3
1978 KZ650 C2 $500 Barn find!
1978 KZ400 B1 Free, Saved from scrap!

More
26 Jun 2012 08:41 #531836 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic LTD from Ohio

wcysl wrote: If you plan on keeping it....Set it up the way you want! Make that bike yours. Just don't take it further than time or $$$$ will let you. Make sure you get on that bike and have some fun.
You know how many bikes get torn down and never put back together?

By the way I am in Parma Oh.

+1 !

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)