Yet Another New Guy Checkin' In...

More
13 Jun 2012 15:28 #528864 by KZmeister
Yet Another New Guy Checkin' In... was created by KZmeister
Good Day All,
I am new to this forum, live in Central Oregon, and in the process of rejuvenating a 1981 KZ750H LTD. The bike is in very rough condition, but I believe with determination I will be able to find the necessary parts, although there will be several. I'm tearing it down and just about every item I've removed so far is rusted, dented, broken, scraped, welded, frayed or abused. This is quite the ordeal and although I have the ability to clean up parts and make them look good, I can't perform magic on some of the items that will need to be replaced. So far I have quite the list (e.g. speedometer, tach, wiring harness(s), engine side covers, etc…). I'm hoping this forum will help me find those parts, ideas and adjustments necessary to bring this bike back to life. I'm not looking to bring it back to showroom condition, but I do have a vision. After all, I need this project as therapy…

Sooooo, if you know some resources I should be aware of, please let me know and I'll keep checkin' in to see what others are doing and have done to their KZ's.
Regards,
KZmeister

1981 KZ750H-2 LTD
Central Oregon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jun 2012 16:45 #528885 by les holt
Replied by les holt on topic Yet Another New Guy Checkin' In...
Some of my best riding experiences were on an 81 Ltd 750, would like to have another one. Welcome and congrats on your purchase, stick with it and you will be pleasantly rewarded in the end, promise! There is a great group of people here with vast amounts of knowledge to help you along the way.

Les

More
13 Jun 2012 17:55 #528905 by hypnohio
Replied by hypnohio on topic Yet Another New Guy Checkin' In...
keep an eye on ebay, there is a surprising amount of good used and nos stuff out there, often for a great price. and of course, Z1 online.

1982 KZ440 LTD
2003 EN500 C
2006 Virago 250

More
13 Jun 2012 18:50 #528913 by Jonny
Replied by Jonny on topic Yet Another New Guy Checkin' In...
+1 to the above.

Lots of resources here for finding new parts, as well as the usual ebay, Z1, redline etc...

Far more importantly is the encyclopedic knowledge of some of the KZ gurus here. Never ceases to amaze me.

Good luck with the resto, I lived and worked briefly in the Willamette Valley, and miss it. Still looking for work there... What a great place to be and have a bike to enjoy it all on.

Cheers

Jon

'78 KZ 650C2 'Lila'
'71 Norton Commando 750 'Eadie'

St. Catharines, ON (Mostly, anyway...)

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
13 Jun 2012 21:45 #528960 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Yet Another New Guy Checkin' In...
Good to here there is another in CO. There are a few of us in Bend, and another out in John Day.
Welcome aboard, you will need a service manual for your bike, the factory book is much preferred.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
14 Jun 2012 00:50 #529009 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic Yet Another New Guy Checkin' In...
welcome

never hurts to watch craigslist either for a no papers basket case..no one really wants em then.....and parts can be grabbed and the rest re-sold again etc...

many sr650 and kz650 and kz 750 parts are the same or very close and will work...many/some will not work on your model and vise versa so watch that you get the right one if buying e-bay,but as mentioned e-bay and patience can yield any part at a very good deal....watch the priceof a few of the things you need as they end auction/sell, and you will see items sell high and low...then bid when you got a feel for the thing...or ask on here ...folks will respond in time to bid as whether it is worth it/how much to expect and so on...they get mis listed and it pays to double check

mark any wiring you unplug with blue tape and notes for which go together...months later this will pay off...also plastic bags and a sharpie will be good for bolts and location...months later this can be big help when it is time to put it all back together

post some pics when you get time and folks will be much more apt to chime in and see if they have an extra parts to spare

welcome
Craig

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife