Hello, new Z650 owner

More
05 Jun 2012 17:04 #527081 by madmark42
Hello, new Z650 owner was created by madmark42
Hi All, just introducing myself, I accidentally got a Z650 SR as a winter hack last year and now cant bear to part with it. Not entirely sure what I'm gonna do with it mind, but selling on isn't an option. I'm in the UK and its a great change from my GSXR750 but needs a lot of work to get right.
It bogs at low revs and although it starts first kick it wont rev for about 3 minutes. After this its nice but still hesitant at low revs and will cut out if you leave it ticking over for long enough. Its got some nasty pod filters and a bitsa exhaust made of (I think) Motad downpipes bodged to a Z750 end can. It cuts out in the rain and the suspension is shot. There is an oil leak from the head at high revs and the paint is quite poor. So the list of things to do is quite long. I may be a bit of a pain asking questions over the next few months so I apologise in advance. Great bike though, I've geared it quite high so 4k rpm is about 60mph for a quite lazy delivery and it suits the way I want to ride this bike (got the Gixxer to go hypersonic on). Pic of bike attached. Any tips gratefully appreciated, cheers, Mark

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jun 2012 17:05 #527082 by madmark42
Replied by madmark42 on topic Hello, new Z650 owner
pic was attached - dunno where it went...
Attachments:

More
05 Jun 2012 20:03 #527107 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Hello, new Z650 owner
Welcome aboard! Bike looks pretty good in the pic. Unless you want to spend a fair amount of time fiddling with the carbs you may want to consider tossing the pods and getting an airbox. That would probably help with the hesitation, although you may need to set the needles and jets to the stock config if the previous owner has monkeyed with them. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
06 Jun 2012 16:38 #527273 by madmark42
Replied by madmark42 on topic Hello, new Z650 owner
I had figured that to be honest. I've got an airbox but the rubbers for it are for larger diameter carbs - I think the ones I need are the 40mm dia ones and these are for the CV carbs. I have no idea where to get the rubbers in the UK but I'll shop around. I've already checked the jets and they are standard so at least theres something I wont have to bugger around with.

Also had it out in the rain the other day and the two inner cyls were cutting out so I've ordered up a new (pattern) coil.

If all goes well I hope to have it running nice in a couple of weeks or so.

More
06 Jun 2012 17:18 #527275 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Hello, new Z650 owner
The air ducts that connect the carbs to the airbox are still available from Kawasaki, so any dealer can order them for you. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: madmark42