New wrencher with an '83 KZ750 - howdy!

• Hatchet
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • It's better in the wind.
More
27 Apr 2012 16:08 - 27 Apr 2012 16:09 #518416 by Hatchet
Hi guys!

I just picked up my first project bike. It's an '83 KZ750 LTD (the belt drive model). It's not running currently, but it's all complete and turns over fine - I suspect it needs a new battery. It's honestly a beautiful bike that needs a little TLC.

Just thought I'd stop in and introduce myself and my new friend. We'll surely be popping up frequently in the future.

Any general info/tips for this bike?

Catch you around!

Bikers are a rare breed.
Harley riders are a dime a dozen.

'83 KZ750 LTD K1. "Don't make me get the belt..."
Attachments:
Last edit: 27 Apr 2012 16:09 by Hatchet.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Apr 2012 16:26 #518418 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic New wrencher with an '83 KZ750 - howdy!
Welcome to KZR!

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

More
27 Apr 2012 16:29 #518419 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic New wrencher with an '83 KZ750 - howdy!
Welcome aboard! Here are some tips:

Many newbies and not so newbies run into the same problems or issues with their bikes which could be easily avoided with a little preparation. Here are a couple recommendations that I hope you will find useful.

Before riding your KZ you should take a little time to become familiar with it. Simple things like checking the oil, tire pressures, etc. are explained in the Kawasaki Owner’s Manual. If you bike didn’t come with one (they normally are in a little holder on the bottom of the seat) you can usually find one on eBay – be sure to get one for your exact year/model.

If you plan to maintain your bike yourself rather than rely on a shop for all maintenance, you really should buy the Kawasaki Factory Service Manual for your bike. It will save you time, money, and frustration by enabling you do perform tasks correctly the first time without damaging anything. No one has ever regretted buying one of these. The factory service manual provides instructions on the various maintenance procedures and schedules for your bike, procedures for diagnosing and correcting problems, proper torque values for the various fasteners (VERY IMPORTANT), and insight into how each system on your bike works even if you are not repairing that system. Some tasks that can adversely affect the safety of the bike, such as installing the front axle, are not intuitively obvious and are nearly always done wrong unless the manual or someone who has read the manual is consulted. Studying the manual before you attempt performing service on your bike will impart an understanding of the system you are working on which will increase the odds of success and safety.

The manuals usually are readily available for most models on eBay and other sources, but be sure to get one that has your specific year and model in it as there are differences between the various KZ650 models. I do not recommend Clymers, Haynes, or other aftermarket manuals as I have seen instances where they provide inaccurate advice. You may decide to use those to supplement the factory manual, but in my opinion they are not a suitable substitute. If you have trouble finding one for your model ask us for help.

If you plan to do your own maintenance you will need some tools that you may not currently own. Kawasaki uses numerous steel screws and bolts many of which are threaded into the aluminum engine. The bolts are much tougher than the aluminum and if over tightened will strip the aluminum threads. Although these can be repaired, preventing damage by applying proper torque will save you grief, time, and money. Tightening fasteners properly requires torque wrenches. Various vendors, including Snap-on, CDI, Sears, etc., market torque wrenches. The two most popular types are the bar type and micrometer type. Either will work, but the micrometer type is a bit easier to use, especially if you are tightening several fasteners with the same torque – such as cylinder head covers. I have found that it takes 2 different scale torque wrenches to properly torque most if not all the fasteners on the KZ650. There are many fasteners that require low torque. These include such things as 6mm oil pan bolts, cylinder head cover bolts, etc. for which the torque in 61-78 inch pounds. These low torque bolts require a wrench that is accurate at low settings and this wrench should be graduated in inch pounds. In addition, there are numerous high torque fasteners such as the front axle nuts (51 – 65 foot pounds) or swing arm pivot shaft nuts (58 – 87 foot pounds). These require a wrench that is accurate at higher settings; this wrench should be graduated in foot pounds. Using the proper torque wrenches to correctly tighten fasteners will help prevent damage and contribute to a safe bike.

The crosshead screws on the Kawasaki that look like "Phillips” screws are not Phillips; they are Japanese Industrial Standard (JIS). Using a Phillips screwdriver tip on these will damage the screw heads. JIS screwdriver bits are available, but if you don’t want to spend money on them you can make a suitable substitute from Phillips screwdriver bits. You just need to grind the tip of the Phillips bit a little then test the bit in a screw then grind a little more as necessary until the bit fits the screw properly. When properly ground the bit should be able to easily stay in the screw without help. If you need more explanation, just ask – pictures are available.

Good luck with your “new” bike, and be sure to ask any questions here as there are lots of knowledgeable folks on this site. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
27 Apr 2012 16:54 #518426 by damarble
Replied by damarble on topic New wrencher with an '83 KZ750 - howdy!

650ed wrote: The crosshead screws on the Kawasaki that look like "Phillips” screws are not Phillips; they are Japanese Industrial Standard (JIS). Using a Phillips screwdriver tip on these will damage the screw heads. JIS screwdriver bits are available, but if you don’t want to spend money on them you can make a suitable substitute from Phillips screwdriver bits. You just need to grind the tip of the Phillips bit a little then test the bit in a screw then grind a little more as necessary until the bit fits the screw properly. When properly ground the bit should be able to easily stay in the screw without help. If you need more explanation, just ask – pictures are available.

This. Seems a lot of people don't know this since most Kawis have tons of stripped out screws.

I like the bike, just like mine except for the belt, which I'm a little jealous of. I still want to add a belt drive and shafty to my collection someday to see how they are.

Go green, buy a Kawasaki!

82 KZ750M CSR Build Thread

89 ZX600C Streetfighter

• Hatchet
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • It's better in the wind.
More
27 Apr 2012 17:26 #518428 by Hatchet
Replied by Hatchet on topic New wrencher with an '83 KZ750 - howdy!
Thank you guys so much for the warm welcome.

And thank you Ed for the in-depth advice panel - you bring up some very important points. In fact, I'm going to go order a couple of service manuals right now.

Bikers are a rare breed.
Harley riders are a dime a dozen.

'83 KZ750 LTD K1. "Don't make me get the belt..."

More
27 Apr 2012 19:53 #518448 by N0NB
Replied by N0NB on topic New wrencher with an '83 KZ750 - howdy!
Welcome!

Ed provided a nice summary, things a lot of us learned over a longer time span. :D

Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )